Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Securing common chips for home cash game.

Hi there,

I'm getting a NL cash game going here on weekends of small stakes. About $100 buy in recommended. It is a friendly home game. No rake, nothing provided, BYO whatever, etc. And friends of friends are welcome to play.

The chips I have are the super common 'dice' set. As I wont always know/trust the players I am concerned with ppl bringing chips into the games. I will be responsible for cashing ppl out.

What would be the best way of securing/marking the chips?

There is no recess in the chip for stickers.. but they would work well after they began to wear a bit.. cause if someone brought in a chip with a new sticker.. it would be obvious.

How about etching or stamping? would this be better? Is there any easy way to do this?

It's probably been covered here before but a decent way to 'secure' the most common chips wouuld be of value to many players.

Matt
Old 03-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Securing common chips for home cash game.

I remember Ten saying something about a UV pen when he first ordered the first batch of egyptian chips. If you do something like that, it'll only show up under a black light, and you can put whatever little mark you want on there.

Here's an example of one I think
Old 03-14-2005, 03:04 PM

Jason (jasone@verizon.net goes by cin0s3 on Ebay) and Brent of Lynbark (lynbark@nc.rr.com goes by lynbark on Ebay). are the two guys that do many of the labels for cheap chips. you can email them directly. they charge about $37 shipped for 1000 labels (for 500 chips).

label thread
another labels thread

jason's web page
lynbark's site
Old 03-14-2005, 03:47 PM

It's certainly a fair deal they offer but I'm a do-it-yourselfer.

I have read about the Krylon spray and all... Does anyone have a link to round stickers on printable sheets that are just the right size?

The UV idea would surely be effective.. but to have to use it at cash in time (when it matters) would be a little to paranoid.

What about stamping or permanent visible marks on the chips?
Are there inks that would mark permanently?

Matt
Old 03-14-2005, 04:08 PM

Here is a link to a site that sells the labels:

Premium-Poker
Old 03-14-2005, 04:35 PM

I would just use stickers. The chips won't fit in a rack right anymore but at least the'll be semi-secure. Once you know the game is established get some nexgens or other stickerable chips from 5stardeal. I did 700 shipped, bought labels and a nice case for under $250. $100 NL game I would probably just buy lots of $1's and some $5's, maybe a few $25's.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No rake, nothing provided, BYO whatever, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to consider a something like a $5.00 per player house fee. This isn't too much to ask considering your investment in your chips, cards and table(s). Save the money from the house fee and use it to buy new chips.

I charge $5.00 and provide pop and bottled water. If you watch the sales at the grocery stores, you can buy it very cheaply.

No one in my game objects to the fee. After all, you are providing a place to play, and the others either don't want to or don't have the chips, cards and table(s) to be host. One or two may grumble at first, but they are usually the ones that will grumble about everything anyway.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No rake, nothing provided, BYO whatever, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to consider a something like a $5.00 per player house fee. This isn't too much to ask considering your investment in your chips, cards and table(s). Save the money from the house fee and use it to buy new chips.

I charge $5.00 and provide pop and bottled water. If you watch the sales at the grocery stores, you can buy it very cheaply.

No one in my game objects to the fee. After all, you are providing a place to play, and the others either don't want to or don't have the chips, cards and table(s) to be host. One or two may grumble at first, but they are usually the ones that will grumble about everything anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

In most locations, a house charge (fee, rake, etc.) makes the game illegal.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:58 PM

If you're playing with $100 buy in, I would strongly consider getting secure chips. Either something with a custom hotstamp, or a custom inlay. Labels should be relatively secure.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:32 PM

Yeah I agree...

We used to play with just a few close friends.. but want to open the game up and raise the stakes a little bit.

I already have a set of 500 dice.. these are about $70 canadian.. ($60US or so). A set of custom chips would be great but at about $1 a chip US im looking at a $600canadin investment.. + all the extra cross border shipping and duty charges. I wouldn't be surprised if a custom set would be like $750 canadian.

Now to weigh the merits of the cheep routes:

stickers - low cost
- could be duplicated (by badguys) but probably not worth the effort/reward for $1 and $5 chips. I mean how much could you get away with.. $100?
- will wear, im sure, even with krylon spray.
- complex cool designs possible on my own.
- even wear of stickers with use would actually be an added security feature.

Hot stamp:
- if I could get the temperature just right I could use a seal of some kind and press it into the chips with a press I suppose. I have both a small press (drill) and a good soldering Iron.
- if results were good it would be quite hard to duplicate?
- This is probably too much work.

I guess this issue comes down to this:
- The stakes are at a point where some security would be worthwhile but not high enough that it is a HUGE deal.
- Too many dice chips out there.
- customs are just too much right now.

I guess stickers are the best route.. and that is why so many are chosing to go that way for cheap custom chips.

I would have liked to hear some other unique ideas that ppl had used for securing the ubiquitous(sp) "Dice" chips.

Matt