Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Dealer mess up

format: 10 person sit n go, home game

short stack goes all in, gets 2 callers. callers check it all the way down..

now here is where it gets tricky. handicapped dealer burns two cards after the flop...3 of us say whoa whoa whoa dude, you just burned 2 cards, i witness the double burn as well. dealer keeps dealing (dealer is friend that was eliminated early)...short stack rivers his pair, 2 callers do not hit their AK and AQ. short stack triples up. i told them "no he is out, no way is he in." response? "no no it's a friendly game we'll give it to him." I argue back and forth and say [censored] it, whatever.

short stack goes on to rip out my heart twice. i raise 450 (75/150) preflop UTG with AJ, short stack reraises all in...dead man walking goes all in (about 900). dead man walking catches a pair of kings (all in with Kh8h) HFL he takes a monster.

then he goes on to rip me apart on another hand....i'm steaming the entire time because of the big [censored] up. dead man walking goes on to play for another 2 hours after that, i manage to build a decent stack....4 handed on the short stack i go all in with As9s...villain calls me with KhQd..he wins with a pair of kings. not my night man.

how would you handle this situation? dealer CONSTANTLY messes up and i would rather not let him deal ever again. we all take turns dealing as the button goes around..he offered to deal for us the rest of the night...like retards, we accept
Old 03-14-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Dealer mess up

I have had dealers jack up the game in my home game as well. Once I see them as a screw up I dont let them deal after that night is over.

I will however correct dealer errors and refund the chips that were in play to the people who bet them (which is what should have happened in the above game, from my stand point anyway).

Not letting people deal does cause hard ship on you (and me) since you will be the one dealing most of the time. It has gotten to the point in my games that I usually end up dealing the whole night. I might take a break for a couple hands but it is usually 20 of me dealing to 2 from someone else.

This did cause problems in my game first off but I quickly over came the problems with running the game and playing poker at the same time.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:24 AM

you understand that cards are random, right? 2 or 5 burns after the flop will result in a different, but still random, turn card? you know that what he did was no big deal?

ever play blackjack? ever get mad b/c the guy in front of you, who "should've" stayed with that 16 to the dealer's 6, takes "your" ten that would have made your double-down? then you catch a 3 to your 10, and the dealer makes a hand?

the cards are random. encourage the dealers to act predictably, but know that as long as they aren't cheating, or making it easy for others to cheat, the cards they deal aren't their fault.

if you can't get used to that, deal all night yourself or hire someone to do it right.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:48 PM

poker is random? wait, i didn't realize it was so similiar to blackjack..thank you for educating me.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:04 PM

All sarcasm aside, I agree with Jojo. The dealer gave you a different random card, and that was one of the cards that had you lose. Oh well. Then you admit that you were steaming for the rest of the night? Sounds like you lost a big hand and then let it get to you. That's understandable, but it's not the dealer's fault. Banning him from holding the deck ever again seems silly and spiteful.

Jojo's blackjack reference to angry gamblers sounds more and more appropriate. If the dealer delivers fair, random cards, it's a fair game. Even if your opponent happens to get lucky later.

Sorry you lost.
-Sam
Old 03-14-2005, 10:17 PM

It's a misdeal. Refund the chips.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:33 PM

It's not a misdeal. It's a dealer error. I couldn't find any applicable rules but I think we can make a ruling based on action:

The flop could have easily been fixed before the action but for some reason it wasn't (not noticed perhaps?). Once that action happens the flop stays.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
poker is random? wait, i didn't realize it was so similiar to blackjack..thank you for educating me.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry. what i meant was, bad beat; that really sucks.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:04 AM

Robert's Rules:
2. If the flop contains too many cards, it must be redealt. (This applies even if it were possible to know which card was the extra one.)

Two burn cards means one too many cards on the flop.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Robert's Rules:
2. If the flop contains too many cards, it must be redealt. (This applies even if it were possible to know which card was the extra one.)

Two burn cards means one too many cards on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Since when is the burn part of the flop? The flop contained three cards. You're extending the definition of the flop to something that is not a part of it.