Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 01:51 PM

Default My Step Challenge!!!

I decided to have a proper go at the party steps and allocated myself just over $600.

I planned to play all the step 1's first and then step 2's etc. etc.

Anyway i've nearly finished the step 1's and have the following stats (top 2 go through)

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th

7 10 7 6 7 4 2 5 2 1

Any opinions on these stats (i understand the sample is small ), or more importantly my style of playing the steps.

thanks

cant get the gaps in between the stats but they go from left to right 1st to 10th.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: My Step Challenge!!!

You realize that you're probably gonna just lose $600, right?

It's a fun gamble, but I would not do this if $600 is significant to you.

In the time it takes to play all those STEPS, you could make a decent amount of cash just playing regular SNGs.

-Jman28
Old 03-12-2005, 01:59 PM

Since I know nothing about your skill level, the following response will lack good background; however, for my $$$$ a better approach with $600 +/- bankroll would be 10 S-2's. Any 10 SnG's is not a relevant sample, so I don't think you can deduce much from the outcome....However, you have secured 17 S-2's for the $$$$ I woulda gotten 10 so you're way ahead of my advice....To repeat a statement I have made frequently on this Board, the S-3's & S-4's are easier than the 2's &1's because of the payout structure....G/L
Old 03-12-2005, 01:59 PM

I used this strategy with setting aside a bankroll for step 1's and it has been very profitable so far. I was able to take second in my 1st step 5 and made it to 2 other step 4s but got bubbled on both to miss 2 more step 5 seats. I have put in about $500 and came back with a score of $2500.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:00 PM

it is more of an experiment really i do not take $600 lightly but it is not a massive chunk of my available bankroll.

I wanted to play the steps but dont wanna just get one step five and bust out and have to do it all over again.

Also what do you think about starting at a higher level? Im winning freerolls at about 33% at the moment to step 2 which is $36 compared to $55 is that $20 odd worth the extra time the step 1's take ???
Old 03-12-2005, 02:04 PM

skipperbob are you implying that if you have the sufficient bankroll to play level 3's and 4's you should skip straight to there?
Old 03-12-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is that $20 odd worth the extra time the step 1's take ???

[/ QUOTE ]

That is entirely dependent on your hourly rate, so I don't know.

-Jman28
Old 03-12-2005, 02:12 PM

Absolutely....Recently backed the best two SnG players I know in a $1,000 "Assault on the Steps"...We made the deision to start at S-2's.....Next "Assault" will have a bigger BR and start at S-4's.....My S-4 advance rate is twice what it is at S-2 (62% vs 33%)......If I had a big BR ($50,000) I'd direct-buy into S-5's....But variance is huge
Old 03-12-2005, 02:39 PM

I am thinking about making an "assault" on the steps too as I recently have came into a decent sized bankroll. I am thinking that buying in at S3 would probably be my best decision, although S4 is definitely an option. I definitely won't be buying into the S5s, because I just couldn't handle that, even if I have the bankroll for it now. I'm having some trouble analysing these things though.... I think I'm gonna start a new thread on it.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:03 PM

I've played 36 S-5's....all by ascent from 2's & 3's (maybe 3 direct-buyin at 4, but no d-b-i's @ S-5) I've ITM'd 12 times...1 first/2 seconds/2 thirds/7 fourths...No doubt, at all, that the easiest move is 4 to 5....My 33% ITM is below what the "average" player should ITM (40%)....But, I've had 11 bubbles, so just a few coinflips the right way & I'de be up bigtime....Since I play pretty standard SnG strategy; I usually ss'd near the bubble; got to win coinflips there. Almost always 3 or 4 "leaderboarders" at every S-5...IMO the S-5's are a berrypatch waiting for aggressive mid-level players to cleanup...Might be what's happening....Lotsa dead $$$$ (including mine) on the S-5 tables due to lower-limit players tightening-up when they get there...FWIW