Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Good Follow-Up Aggression or spewing

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

BB (t745)
UTG (t1310)
UTG+1 (t580)
Hero (t1010)
MP2 (t1065)
CO (t855)
Button (t970)
SB (t1465)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t130</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t130, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t50.

Flop: (t435) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: t635

Minraise to me doesn't signify aces - just high cards.. maybe AQ, KQ.

What you do think about leading out on the flop?

It might have worked but was it the correct move?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Good Follow-Up Aggression or spewing

i don't mind the play. if you can take it down right there you're good, if they call or raise you probably know where you are.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:17 PM

I agree that the min-raise by MP2 does seem like AK, AQ. I'd be more worried about the Button though. What hands will cold call a raise and a re-raise. I'd be worried about another PP. TT or JJ possibly.

Seems to me that this would be a good play heads up and too risky a play in a 3 way pot. I'm assuming you would have folded to a re-raise and gone into check mode had either MP2 or the button called the flop?

BTW, I don't raise 77 here. I call and play for set value.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:19 PM

I'm going to sleep if I here so much as a peep from either of them on the flop.

What I'm really trying to ask is...

This kind of move.. It seems too desperate and too aggressive for early stages of an SNG. If I lose this hand, I'm pretty low on chips and even if I do win this, I don't win much.

Should this kind of aggression wait for later stages of the tournament?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:23 PM

I like your bet post-flop.

I like folding preflop. You still have 5 people acting after you.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This kind of move.. It seems too desperate and too aggressive for early stages of an SNG. If I lose this hand, I'm pretty low on chips and even if I do win this, I don't win much.

Should this kind of aggression wait for later stages of the tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that pretty much sums up my attitude regarding playing in these types of situations in level 1 and 2 at party. You are out of position and playing in a pot that has been re-raised and cold called. You have second pair with a flush draw on the board. I'd probably check here and see what MP2 and Button did. I have been told I play to tight though.

Now, If you had a better read and thought you could take the pot, than by all means do it. If you do try to take this pot, you need to come out strong...and it appears as though you did just that.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:51 PM

See.. People always tout the AGGRESSIVE plays and what not but in a SNG, I think a play like this can get me into a lot of trouble.. especially at the 20+2 level with only T800 chips to start.

The more and more I think analytically about SNGs, the more I want to play like a aggressive rock in stages 1-3.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't raise 77 here. I call and play for set value.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-11-2005, 04:07 PM

I think the preflop play here is ok but better suited if you were in slightly later position and the blinds with t50.

The real problem here is the button. He could be slowplaying a big-medium pocket pair. A lotta guys wouldn't just cold-call with a big ace.

If you are reading the preflop reraiser for paint, why not check the flop? That way, the preflop re-raiser can bet behind you, and you get to see what the button does. Thats win-win for you, because if those spots when the button is strong, you save money, and in those spots where your hand is the best hand, you win money.

I tend to do this more with JJ-TT than 77.

I'm glad you posted this hand. I'm enjoying this discussion.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See.. People always tout the AGGRESSIVE plays and what not but in a SNG, I think a play like this can get me into a lot of trouble.. especially at the 20+2 level with only T800 chips to start.

The more and more I think analytically about SNGs, the more I want to play like a aggressive rock in stages 1-3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think this is exactly how most 2+2ers will recommend playing levels 1-3. I play the 10s and 20s so I can not speak for 50s and above. I play really tight in levels 1-3. Play the big hands strong (you will get callers) and just don't play the marginal hands for the same reason. Of course, level 4/5 is where you turn from rock into maniac.