Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Heads up play - - help

out of 8 SNG's tonight. 7 were 5-player SNG's and 1 10-player . 1 out of the money , 5 2nd places , and 2 first places. It seemed I could never flop a hand heads up but I think I'm also lacking heads up expertise. Any faqs around here on that ? ANy advice or strategies ?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Heads up play - - help

Did you check the short-handed/head-up forum?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:53 AM

I don't think you should be looking to flop hands when you're heads up. Unless it's a very fast tourney, I'm in all-in/fold situation pre-flop because either my opponent or I have less than 10BB.

My HU tactics are pretty simple on the 10+1s: If I'm in first, push with something like Jx+, any pocket pair, connectors 7-8 and above. If they limp in pre-flop, I'll push with cards a little better than that (say Q9+, Kx+). I'll come over the top if they min-raise me with any ace. Calling an all-in is dependant on more their pushing frequency.

Edit: Just realised you said a lot were on 5-player SNGs. I don't play these so this advise might not be very useful.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:59 AM

Probably best to go play loads of heads up sngs, keep playing until you win 90% of them at the 10 dollar level (if you play 10 games you should only get 4 non-idiotic opponents at that level).

It seems to me that people learn the game the wrong way round; everyone starts off mastering 10-handed play, then 6-handed then finally brushing up heads up like its some sort of chore. Im working the other way, my 10-way currently has holes.

But in a tough 10-way sng, we might properly play say 10 hands before it gets to 6-handed, then maybe 20 hands before it gets to heads up, and then 30+ hands heads up; we probably play more heads up hands than in the rest of the game put together!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:01 AM

HOHE Volume Two is supposed to have a section on heads-up play. Not sure when that is coming out, though. I know someone was looking for a bok on heads-up play here the other day.

I'm sure if you ask nicely, DrPhysic can offer some pointers.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably best to go play loads of heads up sngs, keep playing until you win 90% of them at the 10 dollar level (if you play 10 games you should only get 4 non-idiotic opponents at that level).

[/ QUOTE ]

In my admittedly brief experience, the heads up SNGs play much differently than heads up play at the end of a full table SNG with extremely high blinds.

I have not mastered either, but use very different strategies for the two.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:56 PM

Well yeah obviously if the blinds are a tenth of your stack or worse the best edge is only going to be 55/45 on skill