Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 03:15 AM

Default QQ against another big stack

party 50+5, i doubled up early, and then this hand happens

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed) converter

SB (t1160)
BB (t915)
UTG (t75)
UTG+1 (t1875)
MP1 (t2090)
Hero (t2030)
CO (t975)
Button (t880)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t125</font>, Hero calls t125, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: (t290) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t500</font>, Hero ???

His raise preflop is indicative of a big hand, i also have a big hand.

He overbets the pot here, and has me relatively shook in my boots about my queens. What would people do here against another big stack?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: QQ against another big stack

if you're this willing to be scared post flop, reraise preflop. then maybe you can fold to a push if you want.

i don't advocate that though.

citanul
Old 03-11-2005, 03:35 AM

Beat me to it..

Personally, I don't think you should coldcall if you plan on laying this one down to a jack high flop, unless you are playing this for set value. That might be weak, but it is the safe route, and you are tangling with another big stack. Not sure I'd play it that way though.

I don't think that reraising to say, 450ish is a bad move here. The big stack's large raise indicates weakness (not always the case though), and the one player he wouldn't want to tangle with is you. I think this alone should stop hime from playing back at you with a marginal hand.

As it plays out, nothing about the villian's betting pattern makes indicates KK, AA, or JJ IMO.

but it's not fun messing with another bigstack early in a SNG.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:39 AM

After thinking about this for quite a while, I still can't see further than AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for your opponent.

No other hand makes any sense.

The problem now is that although we know it's a flip, we can't move him off the hand.

Someone help, I don't like this hand.

Lori
Old 03-11-2005, 03:42 AM

How about a junk hand?

Perhaps I'm just underestimating him, but his bets seem too big to be something meaningful..

seadood228/gambooln
Old 03-11-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're this willing to be scared post flop,

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think this is being scared? i just think it's being kind of contemplative.

we are the only 2 big stacks at the table at the time

the blinds are really low. I might be ahead here, I've dead even w/ AKcc, drawin slim to jj, kk/aa have me crushed..

is a fold here THAT weaktight?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:51 AM

If you didn't have the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in your hand, would you be more inclined to play.

I would really prefer that I didn't have it here so that my opponent actually has a range of hands other than generic junk that I can beat.

Lori
Old 03-11-2005, 03:51 AM

sigh, i'm not saying that folding post flop is 100% wrong, in fact, i made no mention of post flop play at all in my post in specifics.

what i'm saying is that you made this hand infinitely harder on yourself by not reraising preflop. if you're fine playing the hand for set value, that's fine, but the information you've gotten from your opponent so far doesn't scream out "you're crushed" to me.

as another poster mentioned, 400 or so would have been a really nice sized raise. maybe even a little less.

citanul
Old 03-11-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in fact, i made no mention of post flop play at all in my post in specifics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I avoided this in the previous posts, on purpose [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Being completely truthful with myself, I'd fold to that bet. I think you are ahead, and I think you are the favorite, but that bet is just too big for my liking.

It's one of those hands where I've just got to give him credit for having a lot of balls.. or a better hand..

But I still prefer reraising preflop.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Results...

I folded.

I felt that there was no reason to jam at this pot, there was some in there. My read was that i was in bad shape, given the size of his preflop bet and his overbet of the flop. I didn't NEED the pot since i was plenty healthy. I asked him if he would show, and i got the old

Sorry John, i don't remember (or whatever it is)

my response

OOOOO WATCH OUT FOR THIS GUY! he's quotin rounders!

I busted him 3 hands when he overplayed kj against my ak. I PLAY GOOT! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]