Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2002, 12:13 AM

Default Need help with this hand

I open raised from middle position with AQo. Only two very loose blinds called.

The flop came 345. Checked to me, I bet, sb called, bb check/raised, I called, sb now check/3-bets, bb calls, I call.

Did I play this flop terrible? I'm not even sure a deuce is an out. An ace or queen could just get me in trouble. But I got trapped in there one bet at a time. By the time I was faced with the last raise, my call closed the action. With 14 small bets already in the pot, I thought I was correct to call even with only a small chance that one of my outs was good.

The turn was a 2. Checked to me and I bet...

How bad was this bet? I didn't want to give a free card to two pair or a set, yet either of my opponents could easily have a six.

The sb groans and mucks QQ face up. Not to be out done, the bb groans louder and mucks KK face up. Wow, did I get lucky! Not only did I run down two bigger pairs, but any other betting/raising sequence from my opponents and I wouldn't have been around to catch the deuce.

What I'm having a hard time with was that initially I was pissed that I bet the turn. Not only could I have run into a bigger str8, but by betting I let them both get away from their hands. If I checked, there's little doubt I could've collected at least one more bet on the river. Then again, what about the possibility of two pair, a set, or a six? Does this make betting important? What should I be thinking about when weighing the risk/reward of these opposing possibilities?
Old 09-26-2002, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Need help with this hand

Kevin:
I see nothing wrong with your play. I cannot imagine how BB and SB could let the pre-flop betting go for 1 small bet. And in this case (like the movies, though so often unlike real life) their stupidity allowed you to draw out on them. I might have wussed out on the flop, figuring one of them must have a straight or a set already. But maybe not. When your own straight came on the turn, I like your leading out. I can't believe BB checking the flop with KK with only one bettor (you) behind him. Are you that reliable at betting out when you open-raise pre-flop? If they are going to merely call behind you in the blinds with anything, and then check to you on the flop, this gives you license to open-raise on the button with some fairly speculative drawing hands, since you are buying a free turn card, should you want it.

How bad were these guys generally? What a sweet pair to play against, I suspect.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:20 AM

You needed to bet the turn because they both had about 6% chance of catching a 2 to tie you. Your bet made it a bad decision for them to call. If they had two pairs or a set, they would be right to call with either 4 or 10 outs to beat you in addition to the 3 outs to tie you.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:39 AM

I can see the flop play - you never had to pay more than a bet, so you really could not have folded.

Once the turn comes, well, I don't think anyone is putting another chip in, so you saved everyone some time. An ace or 6 on the river ruins you, so you might as well bet. No point in slowplaying when everyone puts you on a straight.

Old 09-26-2002, 10:05 AM

There's no doubt I hit a 2-shot parlay in that they both mis-played their hands enough to allow me to win. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:10 AM

"If they had two pairs or a set, they would be right to call with either 4 or 10 outs to beat you in addition to the 3 outs to tie you."

Yes, but you bet the turn anyway, right?

"You needed to bet the turn because they both had about 6% chance of catching a 2 to tie you. Your bet made it a bad decision for them to call."

But what about running into a six? Is this enough to check the turn? I'd hate to get raised here.

Thanks for your response Rich.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:18 AM

Thanks Dan. I agree with everything you said, but I want to make sure I understand...
"No point in slowplaying when everyone puts you on a straight."

Don't you think it's likely that I'll run into a bigger straight (i.e. a six)? So now does my bet gain enough information to fold for a raise? Thanks again, Dan.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:12 PM

That's what they get for not re-raising pre-flop or betting on the flop.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:13 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

you got very lucky....they had you in deep preflop...though you did have 7 outs once the flop comes...

if they could see your cards were face up, why raise and make you fold? your only immediate out is an A. you catch a Q and your paying off bigtime. though its only 1 Q left. i dont agree with everyones thought on the others preflop 'terrible' play...i think the statements are results oriented. the KK had a huge advantage in this one, hindsightwise...even if he 3 bets preflop, it doesnt mean youd be out. sb raises and BB caps, then its a fold, but if sb raises, the BB may still just smooth it in. which isnt a terrible play.

b
Old 09-26-2002, 01:41 PM

bernie-

I agree with your pre-flop assessment, but after the first bet went in on the flop, I think they both should of dropped the "trap" mentality and started playing their hands for what they were worth. IMO-