Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Dealing with a maniac early. Party $30+3

5 hands into the tourney and it's become apparent that we have a maniac at the table. Maniac actually didn't play the first two hands then on the 3rd and 4th he opened from utg+1 and utg to 150 and 180 w/ the blinds at t10/t15. The next hand I get 10s on the button. Two limpers to me and I make it 80 to go. Maniac in the BB makes it 500 to go. Folded to me. Do I have enough of a hand to push? Was raising on the button right in the first place? I felt it was better because I was letting the limpers know that my hand was big enough that I didn't mind being raised by the "challenger".
I wanted to isolate the maniac. Is raising into him the most effective way to do that? How big of a hand would you need if one of the early limpers pulls a limp-reraise of the maniac? Is three overbets in a row out of the first five hands enough to convince any of you that this player is acting without regard for human life?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Dealing with a maniac early. Party $30+3

if you push here i'm thinking he calls and you have a race on your hands. too early to get broke. what happened?
Old 03-10-2005, 04:18 PM

He didn't play the first 2, but then played the next 3, and you're calling him a maniac?

Yes, he's WAY overbetting the blinds, but that doesn't make him a maniac. Many players do this with middle pairs.

-Scott
Old 03-10-2005, 04:41 PM

let him get away with it for a little while.

since he's being so lag wait till you get a better situation

you have a good hand, but you may want to give him a little respect since you're probably racing at best.

although, i wouldn't blame you for folding or pushing- i don't see a real clear cut answer here...
Old 03-10-2005, 04:43 PM

I would have limped on the button and then reraised all in myself if everyone else had folded.

Incidentally, this has a MUCH better chance of being a 70/30 than a race.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Incidentally, this has a MUCH better chance of being a 70/30 than a race.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He doesn't appear to want a caller. I put him on a low pair or Ax.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:21 PM

interestingly enough I had a similar hand on Step 3 of PP sng tourney. dealt Kings when MP1 raises to 450 (blinds are still 15-30) I put him on low-mid PP and happily re-raise all-in...he turns up aces.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:06 PM

In this case I pushed and the BB turned up 99. I want to make sure that I'm making the best play, regardless of the results in this particular case.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:37 PM

largely read dependent. but that large of a raise/re-raise screams I WANT THE POT NOW. you just have to be wary of the slick players who actually have the goods and are trying to make you get that read. ala KK vs AA with his half stack raise.

i've been doign alot of reading and learning lately. if your read is small-mid PP then by all means push, but if you're unsure then perhaps it's not worth busting this early.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:47 PM

You raised with the expectation that this player would come over the top of you and he did. So you have to be consistent and execute the rest of your plan otherwise you should have just limped/called or limp/raised in the first place. Personally, I like the play. You want to try and take this chumps stack before someone else does and TT is certainly good enough.