Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 02:37 PM

Default I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome

It is fukcing annoying more than anything else. Anyone had it and got some advice? How long did it last for you?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Are you constipated or loose? If you are constipated, I would recommend eating flaxseeds. Flaxseeds have both fiber and omega-3 fat which should help loosen you up.

I used to be clogged up quite a bit, but after I switched over to eating grassfed beef (better ratio of omega-3 fat to omega-6 fat) and started eating flaxseeds I've been nothing but regular. I buy flaxseeds at my local organic food store for about $2/pound. I'm in the states/colonies, but I would imagine that flaxseeds would be available in the UK, also.

Be aware that most nuts, store-sold meat (fattened up on a high-carb diet), and most non-grassfed dairy products will have high amounts of omega-6 fat which offsets the loosening benefits of omega-3.

If you don't have access to grassfed beef (or lamb or buffalo or elk), then I would recommend eating wild fish. Farm-raised fish will have likely been fattened up on some type of high-carb fish food, so the amount of omega-6 in the fish will likely be higher.

If you don't change anything else, at least get the flaxseeds. They are cheap and may be enough by themselves to do the trick.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:55 PM

http://my.webmd.com/hw/irritable_bow...e/hw117853.asp

Looks like you're stuck with it unless you watch your diet.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is fukcing annoying more than anything else. Anyone had it and got some advice? How long did it last for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has all the makings of a great thread. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2005, 03:02 PM

Hi. Really I am genuinely grateful for the time you took to right this. But FWIW I am definitely on the loose end of IBS.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:21 PM

I have Cron's which is similar and for me it mostly diet. I am on a very low fiber diet hardley any fruits of veggies. Lots of red meat and taters. I also take three different kinds of meds to control.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have Cron's which is similar and for me it mostly diet. I am on a very low fiber diet hardley any fruits of veggies. Lots of red meat and taters. I also take three different kinds of meds to control.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Crohn's too. It can really suck sometime.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:29 PM

Pick up the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle, by Elaine Gottschall. Diet plan in it can be tough to stick to (You have to make your own yogurt, basically give up sugar - forever - and make certain other adjustments but it has helped many people (Myself included - I have Ulcerative Colitis).

In the meantime keep a journal of the food you eat and how that affected you each day. Figure out what foods to stay away from. I absolutely will not consume fluid milk, ice cream, etc.

Also, have you been officially diagnosed? If you ever see blood in the toilet best get it checked right away. If all you have is IBS, consider yourself lucky. It can get a lot worse than that.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you constipated or loose? If you are constipated,...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, im done with this thread.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:31 PM

Wow, this thread is gross. All you people should be shipped to a leper colony or somethng. I'm puking now.