Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 02:13 PM

Default What\'s your fourth street play?

Well, this was interesting.. I hit my $$ card, and wasn't sure where I was at. 3rd street criticisms welcome as well..

7 Card Stud High (5/10), ante 0.5.

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__calls
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__calls
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__bring-ins (2)

4th Street

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__double raises__calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__calls__?????
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__bets__raises
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__calls__folds
Old 03-10-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: What\'s your fourth street play?

wow it depends.

my first though was fold.

Although nothing was provided on the texture of the opponents so this might be way wrong
Old 03-10-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow it depends.

Although nothing was provided on the texture of the opponents so this might be way wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Timmer, I believe it was one of my first hands at the table, and was not familiar with the opponents.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:29 PM

With a Nine and a Deuce out it's hard to put <font color="red">9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] </font> on trips so I figure him for a flush draw. The open Jacks are a little scary, but he didn't raise on third street. Of course, not everyone raises with Jacks, and I usually won't after a lot of limpers, because I don't really want to play a big pot with split Jacks. (In this particular case, I probably do raise with those Jacks because of the cards that are out.) I think it's OK to call the two bets on the first pass. When the Jacks three-bet, it looks like he has trips after all, but the pot is too big to fold.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:31 PM

You can't fold this hand, because there has been no indication that the J up started off with split Jacks... he didn't complete on 3rd street even though he had the highest card showing... and i really don't see a lot of people slow-playing split Jacks at any level.

I would put him on Jacks up at best with like a pair of sevens or something in the hole. Maybe Jacks with 2 paints in the hole.

What you need to do is cap it and, most importantly, make sure you catch the case trey on 7th street.

Mike
Old 03-10-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold this hand, because there has been no indication that the J up started off with split Jacks... he didn't complete on 3rd street even though he had the highest card showing... and i really don't see a lot of people slow-playing split Jacks at any level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I will sometimes.. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see someone do this after a bunch of limpers either, as Andy said.

[ QUOTE ]

I would put him on Jacks up at best with like a pair of sevens or something in the hole. Maybe Jacks with 2 paints in the hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

At best? Even after the three-bet on 4th after I cold called $15?

[ QUOTE ]

What you need to do is cap it and, most importantly, make sure you catch the case trey on 7th street.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only way I can actually outplay my opponents!!

[ QUOTE ]

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it Mike or Nick?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I will sometimes.. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see someone do this after a bunch of limpers either, as Andy said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't think you or Andy are a good representation of the typical player you would see on Party/Empire. I sometimes see split Jacks make it 2 bets on 3rd st. after an overcard to a Jack has completed.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At best? Even after the three-bet on 4th after I cold called $15?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right on this one. But as long as you follow my instructions (catching the case trey on 7th), you will still come out alright.
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only way I can actually outplay my opponents!!

[ QUOTE ]

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it Mike or Nick?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my real name is Mike, but Nick_Foxx is my poker name [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2005, 04:35 PM

The J didn't raise on third even though it was the high card showing. I think you are most likely to be against two pair and a flush draw, although trip jacks, rolled nines, trip 2s are all possible. I call and plan on seeing the river.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:25 PM

Sounds like the making of a big pot here, hope you won it. I'm putting 92 on a flush draw as (22)29 is mathematically less probable. The 2A off is no concern to you. The open jacks three betting fourth is a concern as it leaves you as a 3-1 dog to him if he has the higher set. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But as you know the pot is too big to fold. Its cya at the river time. I hope you filled and bad beat trip jacks.

Mike Emery
Old 03-10-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow it depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

well since your on the end here and the pot is getting sizable I think a fold is likely incorrect. as far as defining your hand or keeping it secret I think keeping it secret is a better play over all. your Ace is sightly injured.

so if raising will very likely define your hand then calling would be the action to take. although I dont really like the call action I think it is better than either other actions.

How the J's will play his range of hands is another logistical variable as to whether to raise or complete the action with a call. since you dont know I would guess "call" and see how 5th street shapes up. I feel this is OK because you will likely be in last position throughtout unless you fillerup with somthing other than the ace.

getting somthing on your opposition is way better than getting nothing on them. This is why my poker coach directs his students to sit out an orbit and watch the action before getting involved in a hand. This can actually work in you favor as well because they know nothing about your play after the fact other than you like to wait an orbit before getting involved.

timmer