Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2002, 01:55 PM

Default When can I get away from this AA?

This hand came up in the middle stages of a limit holdem tournament (Monday night at Foxwoods for those that know it). We're playing 100/200 with 50 and 100 blinds. I've got T1600, a slightly above average stack at my table.

I'm on the button with AcAs. UTG, a very loose, over aggressive player raises. He'll raise UTG with a wide variety of hands. UTG+1 3 bets. It's folded to me and I cap it. We take the flop 3 ways.

Flop: Tc 9s 8c

Not really ideal. UTG bets. Once again, this could be a wide variety of hands. He could have just a draw, a pair with a draw, or the nuts. UTG+1 raises. I think he's got an overpair. I 3 bet, trying to get rid of UTG. No such luck. He caps it. UTG+1 calls. I call. I don't think he'd be capping it with just a pair. I actually tought about folding. Without the Ac in my hand, I may have.

Turn: [Tc 9s 8c] Jc

UTG bets, UTG+1 calls. I call with my nut flush draw.

River: [Tc 9s 8c Jc] 3h

Everyone checks. UTG shows QJo for the nuts on the flop. UTG+1 didn't show, but I think he had KK.

I'm left almost crippled with T600 in chips which I lose a few hands later to UTG from this hand when my AJ runs into his AA.

Is there anyway I could have reasonably gotten out of this hand with a few more chips? Or was I just destined to lose almost all of them here?
Old 09-25-2002, 02:50 PM

Default Re: When can I get away from this AA?

You have to be almost 100% sure that you're drawing to runner-runner on the flop for a fold to be correct. I like the way you played the hand throughout.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-29-2002, 06:25 AM

Default Re: When can I get away from this AA?

A,A sometime can be a heartbreaker. I was playing in a huge multi-tourney today. I play super tight and flawless for a long time. Then, AA popped up and i went all in and won 6000(we start with 1500) in chips. I am like yes i am on my way to the final. Then immediately i got A,A again. I am like oh man!!, this is going to be good. I went all in with 6000 in again. Then, what do you know someone called with KQ suited and caught his flush on the river. OUCH! I want to play tight but when you get AA, what can you do?

Richard