Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Oh ma bluff.

Players in this hand are resonable. The button is a solid player as is the Big Blind. MP2 is a feeder seeing the flop with >50% of his hands.

Party Poker 20/40 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Joe Tall is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Joe Tall completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Joe Tall checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Joe Tall bets</font>

Take care and play well,
Joe Tall
Old 03-10-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Oh ma bluff.

Hi Joe,

If I never ever made this turn bet would that be a leak in my game?

Chris
Old 03-10-2005, 01:48 AM

Preflop: There are probably some here who will give you flack about completing, but I think you made the right play (and I don't think it's close).

Flop: I would probably check as well, but I would seriously consider beting. From your description BB and button are unlikely to stay in there, and you could easily be ahead of the donator both ways if he/she stays in. I don't know if I would have the cojones to actually try this... but maybe Mike Matusow would.

Turn: Now I would definitely bet. IMO, you're only concern is the donator, and the odds seem to be in your favor that he/she has no K, J, or 7.

All in all, I probably would have played it the same as you did.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:12 AM

I don't like it.
You will be called by either a K or a J, or a large wrap, in this game I would expect someone with KJxx to check this flop and raise this turn, even AKxx. Just my experience in the game. Oh, and then there is the slowplayed 7. I would (almost) never bet here.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:35 AM

i've never played in a 20/40 game so i have no idea of the texture of the game.

but i do think that your chances are very slim in winning. you're risking 1BB to win 2BB with nothin but ace high, with no outs.

you have 3 players to act after you. if you can bluff all 3 33% of the time you break even. doesn't seem like it's worth the risk.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:19 PM

Well, I'm fine with it.

If you have accurate reads on the other players, I don't see what the problem is. *shrugs*
Old 03-10-2005, 12:42 PM

this is not terrible. obviously a few of your opponents were looking for a low flop. a big part of higher limit O8 is stealing when no low is possible. i prefer to have position when trying a play like this, though.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:05 PM

I think its opponent dependent, and what their image is of you, but it’s probably EV+ given it needs to work only 1 in 3 times.

I’d think solid players in BB/button aren’t going to bother trying to bluff-catch on such a tiny pot, particularly since its reasonable that a SB would be 1) more likely to have a 7, and 2) could try for a check-raise being first to act. The chances that MP both has a hand that he’s willing to call with now but would not have bet the flop with in LP doesn’t seem to outweigh the 33% chance of success you need.

--Greg
Old 03-10-2005, 03:11 PM

I don't like it pot is small and you're out of position. If you were going to bluff, bluff on the flop.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Joe,

If I never ever made this turn bet would that be a leak in my game?

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a leak but here is my thinking:

The good players have put in before the flop w/a likely low and acting in LP, if thier high as an piece when checked to, they'll bet. I nearly bet the flop except for the flush draw. Once the flop is checked through, I'm sure neither has a flush draw and the low runner is killed, along w/the pot size. Now all I have to do is worry about the BB, effectively bluffing into one player. My bet looks like a whiffed c/r on the flop of trips, for what's that worth.

Peace,
Joe Tall