Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Bubble pickle

How do you play this?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

UTG (t2730)
Button (t30)
SB (t4095)
Hero (t1145)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t400) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ...
Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Bubble pickle

... bets 200.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:50 AM

I'd check it down hoping for the free showdown. If he even sneezes at the pot I'd fold in a second. With button at 30 chips it's just not worth it right? Or maybe you could minimum bet it but I really hate minimum bets with 2 streets to go and a stack of 6xBB against the chip leader.

Imagine if you were in his shoes, would you check/raise to 1200 with any two knowing that you'd be VERY hard pressed to call knowing that the button will blind out soon.

Edit: Now that I think about it, you're lucky that the big stack didn't put you in in the first place which allowed you to see the flop. No way I would have completed this SB as I would have pushed any two in this situation.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:53 AM

If you bet any amount other than all-in you're basically begging the SB to take the pot away from you. Your only viable options IMO are check and all-in. If the blinds are gonna be at 300 when the BB hits you again (provided button survives), I think I push. If the blinds will still be at 200, I think I check.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:57 AM

This is read dependant:

If the SB is a competent player that understands bubble situations, even a little bit, then do not put any more chips into the pot unless you can beat AA.

Otherwise if my opponent sucked and was not aggresive or tricky I would bet around 300 and fold to a c-raise or a call.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
.. bets 200.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only think this line works because Big stack does not understand Big stack play (unless he's slow playing a monster - then he's a genius). We all know big stack should have pushed ANY TWO cards on this hand preflop. But he didn't. This scared the crap out of me. Big stack had been playing pretty weak over the previous few hands. I did think that if I pushed here, I'd take it down, but damn, hanger onner guy only gots 30 chips.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
.. bets 200.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only think this line works because Big stack does not understand Big stack play (unless he's slow playing a monster - then he's a genius). We all know big stack should have pushed ANY TWO cards on this hand preflop. But he didn't. This scared the crap out of me. Big stack had been playing pretty weak over the previous few hands. I did think that if I pushed here, I'd take it down, but damn, hanger onner guy only gots 30 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not putting in another chip, but I would like to pick it up on the flop.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Isn\'t it highly opponent specific?

If you are playing an opponent that is likely to fold to a bet... isn't betting a very viable option?

Not because you hand has any value whatsoever... but because you have folding equity due to the fact that you could have anything... and the SB knows it.

The button's almost gone. As long as you don't go all in in the near future you should be okay. I'd be more concerned about moving into 2nd than knocking out the button... until the button makes a comeback.

Short-handed you need to get more aggressive. If you've been relatively tight up until now, this looks like an opportunity to snatch a small pot.

Going all-in seems to be incredibly obviously foolish to me. You can't worry about your opponent going all in. If he does, just fold.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise if my opponent sucked and was not aggresive or tricky I would bet around 300 and fold to a c-raise or a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had thought about this line as well. What I didn't like is that if I was check raised, that would require me to win 2 showdowns when ITM if I had any reasonable chance at assaulting first. I felt that I could still play strong ITM if I won just one showdown. I would then have the right amount of FE to take down blinds.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did think that if I pushed here, I'd take it down, but damn, hanger onner guy only gots 30 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, that's the trouble... if I pushed and lost (regardless of how), I'd want to smack myself silly. With 30 chips for the button, I feel like you have to check.