Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 11:13 AM

Default over-aggressive?

I've been working on my SNG's recently and have been increasing my aggression with good but statistically insignificant results. Here's an example hand from a $50 I played last night. The rest of the table was fairly weak/tight with lots of calls but hardly ever a raise. My table image is fairly TAG with the last 4-5 hands taken down without showing down.
Will this kind of aggression pay off like it seems to be, or am I developing a bad habit?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t2625)
BB (t2775)
UTG (t695)
MP (t1400)
Button (t2505)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t300) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, BB folds, MP calls t300.

Turn: (t900) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t500</font>, MP calls t500.

River: (t1900) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t500</font>, MP folds.

Final Pot: t2400
Old 03-08-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: over-aggressive?

Alot of people will advocate folding preflop here, but you have enough chips to take a flop with the suited ace.

As far as later streets, I think your bets are fine, but the real question is this: What would you do if you got raise? Would you let it go?

I think obviously after seeing how the hand played out the villian had a big diamond, but if he raises I think you have to give him respect.

I personally think that you got involved in this pot too early in the SNG. I like to wait until the blinds mean something significant (either to my stack or my opponents) before I start mixing it up. But again, as big as your stack is here, completing is fine, and betting is fine. That is just some advice for future reference.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alot of people will advocate folding preflop here, but you have enough chips to take a flop with the suited ace.

As far as later streets, I think your bets are fine, but the real question is this: What would you do if you got raise? Would you let it go?

I think obviously after seeing how the hand played out the villian had a big diamond, but if he raises I think you have to give him respect.

I personally think that you got involved in this pot too early in the SNG. I like to wait until the blinds mean something significant (either to my stack or my opponents) before I start mixing it up. But again, as big as your stack is here, completing is fine, and betting is fine. That is just some advice for future reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about folding pre-flop. I'm still not sure if that's correct and close, correct and not even close, or if its ok to complete with my stack size. I usually lean towards completing and playing when the tables as weak/tight as it was, but I'd be interested in hearing others suggestions.

I think a good timed raise and I would have had to let it go. But, given that I hadn't seen the villain or pretty much anyone else raise if bet into strongly I didn't expect it.

Thanks for the thoughts...looking at it, I don't like it now, regardless of results.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:29 AM

hey lucky - i love your vid clip - its priceless
Old 03-08-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been working on my SNG's recently and have been increasing my aggression with good but statistically insignificant results. Here's an example hand from a $50 I played last night. The rest of the table was fairly weak/tight with lots of calls but hardly ever a raise. My table image is fairly TAG with the last 4-5 hands taken down without showing down.
Will this kind of aggression pay off like it seems to be, or am I developing a bad habit?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t2625)
BB (t2775)
UTG (t695)
MP (t1400)
Button (t2505)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t300) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, BB folds, MP calls t300.

Turn: (t900) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t500</font>, MP calls t500.

River: (t1900) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t500</font>, MP folds.

Final Pot: t2400

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I agree with previous poster. he had Kdx and was calling w/ terrible odds. The question on this post is, "what should Villain have done on flop?" push or fold...calling is terrible.

But he did call, so you had to be thinking "Im gonna get cr'd on the turn here" well you didnt...guess it was a weak table.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I agree with previous poster. he had Kdx and was calling w/ terrible odds. The question on this post is, "what should Villain have done on flop?" push or fold...calling is terrible.

But he did call, so you had to be thinking "Im gonna get cr'd on the turn here" well you didnt...guess it was a weak table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the call worried me. If he had pushed on the flop, I would have let it go. I do think this is one of those instances where table/player reads are important. They really were that soft...The $50's in general seem almost softer these days, late at night.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I agree with previous poster. he had Kdx and was calling w/ terrible odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was clearly on a diamond draw but I doubt he had the K. With two Aces on the board I doubt villain would fold 2nd pair on the river after putting nearly his entire stack into the pot.

Regarding the original post, I like the complete pre-flop and like the pot-size bet on the flop. Most of the time that will take it down. However, once the flop is called I don't put another dime into the pot. A called flop is either going to be an Ace (with a higher kicker) or a flush draw. In either case, the medium size bets by Hero on the turn and river don't make sense to me.

Fortunately for Hero, the Villain's play was horrid and he got what he deserved.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I agree with previous poster. he had Kdx and was calling w/ terrible odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was clearly on a diamond draw but I doubt he had the K. With two Aces on the board I doubt villain would fold 2nd pair on the river after putting nearly his entire stack into the pot.

Regarding the original post, I like the complete pre-flop and like the pot-size bet on the flop. Most of the time that will take it down. However, once the flop is called I don't put another dime into the pot. A called flop is either going to be an Ace (with a higher kicker) or a flush draw. In either case, the medium size bets by Hero on the turn and river don't make sense to me.

Fortunately for Hero, the Villain's play was horrid and he got what he deserved.

[/ QUOTE ]

good call...didnt see the K on turn...regardless, k or not is moot. I get cold called like that, Im thinking he flopped the flush. u shouldve slowed down.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good call...didnt see the K on turn...regardless, k or not is moot. I get cold called like that, Im thinking he flopped the flush. u shouldve slowed down.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i think that's probably the correct play. I have noticed though a lot of calling of probe bets on the flop, only to have the villain fold to another good bet on the turn. So far its helped me more than hurt me, but i think that's more to do with the quality of opponents rather than good poker strategy. I have to admit, I know i've made some logically bad plays recently, but they work out as my opponents are so weak. I think this is probably developing into a bad habit...
Old 03-08-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm...im surprised this was a 55. Youll almost never see this type of play from good opponents...reminds me of 10+1 type play...a 4 flush does funny things to a fish.

p

yeah, i think that's probably the correct play. I have noticed though a lot of calling of probe bets on the flop, only to have the villain fold to another good bet on the turn. So far its helped me more than hurt me, but i think that's more to do with the quality of opponents rather than good poker strategy. I have to admit, I know i've made some logically bad plays recently, but they work out as my opponents are so weak. I think this is probably developing into a bad habit...

[/ QUOTE ]