Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 03:47 PM

Default question for Scuba

This question regards L3-4 play. Lets say you are yet to play a hand, the table is still 8 players. You are dealt AKo, etc in EP. Do you open push? 1/2 your stack? Over the weekend, I was opening with a push, in situations like this. It worked well, I ended up getting called by AX about 1/2 the time (that I was called). Also, how do you generally play ITM with high blinds? Are you ever opening a pot that isnt a push?

I must admit. The thought of reducing poker to this type of play, hurts me deeply, but hey...EV is EV!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: question for Scuba

How in the pluperfectfuck would Scuba know; try asking your dog, or even, God-forbid, Yugo [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 03:57 PM

hahaha, so what about you skip. Whats your view of mid-evel play in 20+2 SNGs.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:59 PM

Scuba needs more information. Buyin, stack sizes, perhaps even a concrete example [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]!

However, I very rarely push in the types of situations you describe. Poker is a wonderously contextual thing and there can be no 'hard and fast' rules about pushing AK.

Unless you're @ the $11 level....then I guess you can always push it and be fine (but I still don't).

Yugoslav
PS Interestingly, there are *other* ways to take money off of weak aces.....and you don't risk running into coinflips.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How in the pluperfectfuck would Scuba know; try asking your dog, or even, God-forbid, Yugo [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know I'm shortly after A-Plus' dog on his list of animals to ask about poker.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
PS It's like you *knew* I'd respond to the OP...didn't you? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This question regards L3-4 play. Lets say you are yet to play a hand, the table is still 8 players. You are dealt AKo, etc in EP. Do you open push? 1/2 your stack? Over the weekend, I was opening with a push, in situations like this. It worked well, I ended up getting called by AX about 1/2 the time (that I was called). Also, how do you generally play ITM with high blinds? Are you ever opening a pot that isnt a push?

I must admit. The thought of reducing poker to this type of play, hurts me deeply, but hey...EV is EV!

[/ QUOTE ]

First things first, see my post What is a hand?

I assume you mean on PartyPoker?

This is a very difficult to answer with SO LITTLE INFORMATION. I think a lot of things change based on your stack size. For example, I think I can absolutely say, without a doubt, that I would push or call a push, if I had 300 or fewer chips. Beyond that, I need more info.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:12 PM

Ok, here is an example from a 22+2 SNG.

You have 725 TC. L4 (50/100) 7 players remaining.
You are UG+2. (AKo).

One limper (950) to you....
Two largest stacks are yet to act with (1650, 1300).

I was 4-tabling at the time, so I didnt have much of a read on anyone. My thought were, I dont want to play this hand without position, and any reasonable raise is for most of my chips. So I pushed.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:25 PM

Sorry for being one of 'those' posters.

I was reading some of Scubas posts on leaks players party SNG games, and follow up discussion on the art of folding equity. I was not really looking for advice on a particular hand, more of his general strategy (realizing that it is dynamic)

Here is what I should have written:

Scuba,

When multi-tabling and following your uber-tight advice early in SNGs 10+1, 20+2)How do you generally attack a situation where you do not get a playable hand until L4, and you still have a relatively full table. For insance, the hand I posted. Is there a point (if so, what goes into your decision) where you would push vs. open with a standard 3X BB raise?

Also, to point out. I am not looking for general SNG advice. I am looking for advice on party SNGs, where you are playing 4 tables, thus limiting your feel for your table.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, here is an example from a 22+2 SNG.

You have 725 TC. L4 (50/100) 7 players remaining.
You are UG+2. (AKo).

One limper (950) to you....
Two largest stacks are yet to act with (1650, 1300).

I was 4-tabling at the time, so I didnt have much of a read on anyone. My thought were, I dont want to play this hand without position, and any reasonable raise is for most of my chips. So I pushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thoughts also could have included:

Hey, I have AK! That's a pretty OK hand!
If everyone just folds, I increase my stack by 50%!
These douches will call me with Ax!
And a few more, but I'm trying to be nice, and you seem to maybe understand that you want to see all 5 cards with your hand, if they're going to play with you, and you are going to be pot committed with any raise.

citanul
Old 03-07-2005, 04:31 PM

Advice:

Don't play 4 tables on party if you really honestly feel that your feel for each table is reduced to something close to 0. It's retarded.

I hope that will be as mean as I get today, even though I wasn't even listed below "dog" on who you should ask for advice.

citanul, a productive member of society.