Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 12:10 PM

Default QQ question, early rounds

Not a specific hand but a question. Party lower buy in levels. If I get KK or AA obviously I will get all of my chips in before the flop if I can.

But say first hand you get QQ. You make a good sized raise and someone pushes all in or raises to 500. Do you call/push here with QQ or fold?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: QQ question, early rounds

Warning: inexperienced advice follows...

In the 11s, I see people pushing all-in with crap like ATo and middle pairs, so I usually like to call an early push. If instead they just re-raise a large amount, I'll often push myself if I think I have any fold equity left, otherwise, I'll usually fold since I don't like to play this hand post-flop in a large pot. Unless you get a good flop, it's hard to know how to proceed if an A or K flops.

I'll be interested to see what the experts say...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:29 PM

I dont know, I just answered a post higher up that is discussing pushing early on with TT. I know that a lot of people at the 10+1's push with crap early, but there are still a lot of people that push only with the premium hands. In my opinion, I fold to a push if I have QQ early on, and play to win in the later rounds.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:32 PM

Well JJ and lower I would fold here without thinking twice and KK and AA I push without thinking twice, but not too sure about QQ.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:36 PM

I agree, KK and AA I'll push without thinking twice... and if I hold KK and he holds AA, then I chaulk it up to bad luck and start a new game. I would fold QQ only because there is a perception with newer players that AA and KK are the "allin" hands and I feel like the chances are greater to have someone beat your QQ with KK or AA or AK that it is for your KK to be beaten by AA or AK
Old 03-07-2005, 01:43 PM

(Unless I have some sort of past table read on villain...)

FWIW, I call these on the $33s and below. I would fold JJ here. But before I do this, I open up a note on him so that I can write notes on the results.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not a specific hand but a question. Party lower buy in levels. If I get KK or AA obviously I will get all of my chips in before the flop if I can.

But say first hand you get QQ. You make a good sized raise and someone pushes all in or raises to 500. Do you call/push here with QQ or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you push (you can't really just call 500 at this point, I mean, you've only got ~800, right?), you're playing the "am I crushed" guessing game.

Sure, TT|JJ|AT+|KT+ miiiiight be in the hands of a moron here, but why take that risk? This early in the game fold QQ and get your money in when you know you're a favorite.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:34 PM

I know it's unlikely, but one could also be up against QQ. Sucks to lay down the exact same hand you're up against.

Should one worry about AK in this spot (since you are a slight favorite)? Or is the correct move to fold simply because they could have AA or KK?

To me, too many players push with inferior hands in this spot at the $11 level to lay this down.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, too many players push with inferior hands in this spot at the $11 level to lay this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Concur. I'll call this every time.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:40 PM

I think it is borderline in the $11's. Kings are clearly worth getting all your money in on and Jacks are clearly not.

I have vacillated on queens, but I think they are worth it unless you have a read on villian indicating otherwise.

I just started the $22's and have seen at least as much early pushing with low pocket pairs as I saw in the $11's. I'll see if these have been the exceptions or the rule.