Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2002, 10:52 PM

Default Is this a fold?

10-20 game 9 handed EP player limps Mp player raises I call with As-10s 1 other caller BB. 4 see the flop.

Flop Ad-6h-8s checked to raiser he bets I raise( I have not played against this player before today-so far seemed fairly solid though) BB calls 2 cold Original raiser 3 bets...I call. This is my question....Should I have folded right there?

The result is I paired the 10 on the river and beat a hand that was not shown when he called my river raise. Even though I won I am feeling as though this was an obvious laydown in hindsight. the other player stayed till the river callling all bets with what I am not sure a poor A I assume.

Thanks in advance.

Swiss Cheese
Old 09-21-2002, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Is this a fold?

I don't think you fold on the flop. You are behind but the pot is laying you 15-1 on your call and it is unlikely that the BB is going to raise. You have outs with the 3 tens and backdoor flush draw. I may have folded on the turn if no flush or 10 hits. You now have 3 outs and the pot is only laying you 170 - 20 or 8.5-1 on a 13 or 14-1 shot.

If you had planned on seeing the river regardless of what hit the turn and you were going to call a river bet, you should probably fold for the 3 bet on the flop. It's going to cost you a minimum of $50 for a pot of $230 so you are getting 4.5-1 for a 14-1 shot (hitting a 10).
Old 09-22-2002, 12:04 AM

"Flop Ad-6h-8s checked to raiser he bets I raise( I have not played against this player before today-so far seemed fairly solid though) BB calls 2 cold Original raiser 3 bets...I call. This is my question....Should I have folded right there"

This (and the river) seem to be the easiest decisions of the hand. Wouldn't it be much more productive to discuss the pre-flop and turn?
Old 09-22-2002, 12:22 AM

i think you should have folded preflop. see what happens when you play these kind of hands into strength. on the flop you should also know you need a ten to have a chance to win even before you got three bet. plus did you consider the bb may very well have 7,9 which makes your hand dead.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:30 AM

Unless you know the raiser to be a loose raiser, then you probably shouldnt play the hand pre-flop
seeya
Old 09-22-2002, 12:35 AM

calling raises cold can be an expensive habit. It's close but I would have folded preflop (unless I was steaming).
Old 09-22-2002, 02:15 AM

Swiss,

I am assuming this was at Hollywood. Depending on the player, I would usually fold this hand pre-flop, unless he was one of the Hollywood specials - meaning a complete moron - then I would 3 bet and try to isolate. You indicated that he seemed solid though - so I would rather be safe then sorry and fold.

Hands like this make their money when you can make the nut flush or straight and get paid off in a few spots. They are mostly over rated though because they are trap hands - in many situations - as you found out here - you are never sure where you are at and thus cannot maximize your profit if you are ahead and unfortunately - one always seems to maximize your loss if you are behind - because you never really know. I would not suggest calling raises with a hand like this unless many people are seeing the flop AND you can lay down a bad A in a situation such as this.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:59 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

fold preflop. who cares abuot the rest?
Old 09-22-2002, 08:32 AM

"I would usually fold this hand pre-flop, unless he was one of the Hollywood specials - meaning a complete moron - then I would 3 bet and try to isolate."

Just curious.. What would you do if it's the first limper who's the complete moron and MP knows this? I'm not saying even then it would be right to play ATs, but it's why I thought the pre-flop decisions were far more interesting than whether or not to take another one off getting 15 to 1. I'm not sure about the raise on the flop either. "Folding", then "calling" seem better to me with "raising" being my last choice.

Old 09-22-2002, 09:00 AM

Swiss-

I can't help notice that most everyone suggests folding pre-flop. I find this interesting because ironically, I've been trying to find a few more hands I can add to my game (including raised pots) and this would be one which I'd at least consider. Much would depend on other factors such as who's already in etc., but if I could expect a few callers or if I was on the button, I'd strongly consider playing ATs. The caveat is that I wouldn't want to flop a pair of aces. I'd be looking for a big draw, trips, or two pair. When that ace flops, I think it helps to be able to recognize when your hand might hold considerably less value now, than it had pre-flop even though you've flopped top pair. IMO-

It's a tough hand to play for a raise, but I think it was Mason who said that if you want to get real good at playing in marginal spots, you've got to get yourself in them once in a while.