Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 08:15 PM

Default I don\'t see many hands like this posted.

No notes on this player and they haven't stood out yet. So average 3/6 for all intents.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: BigEndian is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, BigEndian calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, BigEndian...

What would you do here? And why?

- Jim
Old 03-06-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: I don\'t see many hands like this posted.

[ QUOTE ]

What would you do here?

[/ QUOTE ]

See a showdown.

[ QUOTE ]
And why?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of draws that will bluff this board.
You might have counterfeited a PP&lt;8
Old 03-06-2005, 08:23 PM

it depends on what range of hands you put him on when he limps UTG.

he could have been trying to move you off your overs with a low pp, or semibluffing with JT or something of the like.

it's tough to see him limping with a hand that had has a 9 in it, and an 8 would probably slowplay in that spot. also the board double pairing means its more likely that he doesnt have a 9.

call down?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:53 PM

Here's my dilemna with this hand (and I have very little doubt I played it poorly):

1) The pot is small - especially relative to the effective odds.

2) I have no other draws other than my over cards and these have to be discounted heavily - if you want to count them at all.

3) Without a read on the player, I agree it's possible I was CRed with a PP &lt; 8 or a draw. But what % chance do you give it vs the 9, the 8 or TT, not just taking into account card counts.

So basically, to me, the hand came down to a question of whether he had it or didn't and I didn't want to pay 2BB to find out.

- Jim
Old 03-06-2005, 08:54 PM

fold.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) The pot is small - especially relative to the effective odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not especially small for a heads up pot. I don't see how effective odds come into play here. I'm not raising on the end regardless of the card that comes off.

[ QUOTE ]
2) I have no other draws other than my over cards and these have to be discounted heavily - if you want to count them at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'm calling down b/c I think I have the best hand, not because of any draws. I suppose occasionally he'll have something like TT and you'll river a pair on the river, but his most likely holdings are a boat, a draw, or three-pair.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Without a read on the player, I agree it's possible I was CRed with a PP &lt; 8 or a draw. But what % chance do you give it vs the 9, the 8 or TT, not just taking into account card counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like 35% of the time, just completely off-hand. This is definitely the sort of board where I'm thinking about calling down with ace-high right from the get-go. The turn card looks bad for you since it means you're drawing dead to a 9, but it's probably a good card for you since it counterfeits lower PP and makes it less likely that he holds a 9.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how effective odds come into play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I disagree with Nate, I can only assume that I am somehow wrong. But...

I thought in this situation, you would use effective odds on a call down. Assuming villian bets again on the river 100% of the time (cleary not the case), our odds on a call down are:

(4.66 + 2) : 1

= 3.3:1.

What aren't I seeing?

Note: This still brings us to the same conclusion as Nate (who estimated we're good 35% of the time), just that it used effective odds to justify it.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:22 PM

It's 6:2 to go the distance (effective odds). This means, for the call down to be correct, the combination of the times he is conterfeited/on-a-draw and his cards not coming on the river have to be equal to that. 35% you say, seems close enough to make the call down...but it was a tough call for me.

- Jim
Old 03-06-2005, 09:28 PM

I've started calling down with AK in this situation more and more, and it's been paying off for me so far.

Rob
Old 03-06-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how effective odds come into play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I disagree with Nate, I can only assume that I am somehow wrong. But...

I thought in this situation, you would use effective odds on a call down. Assuming villian bets again on the river 100% of the time (cleary not the case), our odds on a call down are:

(4.66 + 2) : 1

= 3.3:1.

What aren't I seeing?

Note: This still brings us to the same conclusion as Nate (who estimated we're good 35% of the time), just that it used effective odds to justify it.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think you're good 35% of the time here, then calling down is clearly correct given 3.3:1 odds (though slightly smaller after the rake steals some more).

Other things to consider here. You're drawing dead vs. an 8 OR a 9. If villian also has an A you're choping unless you hit something. All of your outs are good against any villian hand not containing an 8 or 9 (except AA or KK). Your hand is already good against any hand not mentioned above (except TT, JJ, or QQ).

This would be a much easier decision if you had some sort of read (obviously). Assuming he is an unsophisticated player, his checkraise either indicates that he has a fairly big hand or a hand like AJ. I doubt he'd checkraise semi-bluff with a hand like JT here.

Calling down is probably correct.