Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2002, 02:58 AM

Default Mirage 20-40: Have I been slowplayed?

This hand is for Jimbo.

An MP open limps. The cutoff, a very aggressive player, raises. A very loose player calls in the small blind. I'm in the big blind with Kd9d and call. MP calls. Four players see the flop.

The flop is: Jd,4d,2d

Small blind checks. I bet. MP folds. Cutoff calls. Small blind calls.

The turn is: Jd,4d,2d,7c

Small blind checks. I bet. Cutoff calls. Small blind calls.

The river is: Jd,4d,2d,7c,Qs

Small blind checks. I bet. Out of nowhere, the cutoff (pre-flop riaser) raises. Small blind folds leaving me heads-up with the cutoff.

Is my hand good or have I been slowplayed?

Old 09-20-2002, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Mirage 20-40: Have I been slowplayed?

Yeesh. Not a pleasant situation in which to find yourself. I think that the cutoff is 50/50 on beating you or having a set. He may have rivered a set of Queens and popped it, believing you were betting a single diamond...or he may have flopped a set and been content to let you bet his hand for him (though you'd think an aggressive player would raise the turn in this spot). I would reraise and pay off a 4th bet. I think you will often show the winner here. I recall a similar hand where I had KQ, raised before the flop, only BB calls. Flop comes 9-Q-5r. Check, bet, call. Turn is a brick. I get checkraised. I call. River is a King, and I raise my two pair "for value." My opponent called and showed a set of 5s. I figured my raise is safe bc he could only reraise with the sttaight. We got into a little post war where you said this was wrong after the checkraise, and that you 3-bet in the opponents spot, not putting me on a nut holding. I think if you 3-bet that (as I've now come to agree with you on after some more experience), you 3-bet this aggressive opponent as well. Just my opinion.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2002, 05:17 AM

Does it matter?
Old 09-20-2002, 05:45 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Is my hand good or have I been slowplayed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you've been slowplayed by a set of Jacks.

3-bet.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:21 AM

Default That bet from nowhere...again

Dynasty,

Out of nowhere, the cutoff (pre-flop raiser) raises. Small blind folds leaving me heads-up with the cutoff.

When your opponent raised, did thoughts of Mikey and Clarkmeister go through your mind? They both have their ideas about the bet/raise from nowhere.

I question how good your opponent played. Perhaps he felt content having you bet his hand. Although flush over flush happens rarely the possibilty exists. He also could have raised with AQ preflop off suit, or QQ. What do you think he put you on.

Perhaps he didn't think you would bet out the flush, because you might have slowplayed it yourself.

I would make the crying call and hope my opponent had a set or Aq off.

Obviously I am more result oriented then detail oriened, so please post the results. I believe the results are relevant. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2002, 09:02 AM

There is some chance you've been slowplayed, but with an aggressive player like you described, you could easily be up against a bold (and strange) bluff on the end, as well as the sets of J's and Q's. His hand being QJ is a distinct possibility as well. Why would he wait until the river on his slowplay anyway? And if he's the kind of player that would make that kind of ill-advised play, who's to say he's not holding a hand like QdTd?

I 3-bet it, and call a 4-bet. I can think a lot of reasons to make it 5 depending on my foreknowledge of the player (specifically, what is the probability of a lower flush?) But from what you've written, I'd leave it at 4.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:03 AM

By all means. The chance of a slowplay dictates whether to 3-bet or not. Folding is surely out of the question, if that's what you mean.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:46 AM

In this position, I would three-bet almost 90% of the time, unless I had a dynamite read on the raiser. I would bank on a set of queens, maybe a set of jacks.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:54 AM

Dynasty:
Raise or call? How many AdXd would he raise with pre-flop (against a midposition limper?) AK through AT maybe? Four hands. Against that what other hands could he hold. QQ, JJ (QJs?). Twelve-plus hands.

Beyond that, not many players at low-limits (where I play) would hold a checkraise until the river. Perhaps this is more common in the game you are playing. I'd think that if you know this player well enough to characterize him as "wild aggressive" then maybe you would know if he will wait to the river on slowplayed hands?

IMO, I'd raise him. If he re-raises, then make a crying call.

Old 09-20-2002, 10:11 AM

If I was the cutoff, I would put you on a J,x, hence why you are being aggressive from the flop on (that's what my thinking would indicate). He fears two pair as he, IMO, has pocket Queens. He hit is set or his A,Q on the river. 3-bet your flush.