Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2002, 09:39 AM

Default A heads up No-limit Touney

I just offered a proposal to one of my fellow poker players at my home game. The proposal was to play a heads up no-limit touney. I consider this player to be much weaker than me at poker. I just want to know if I am right in saying and doingthis "the more tounament chips we have, the better off I am."
comments please!!!
I think I should make our stacks very large.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:01 AM

Default Re: A heads up No-limit Touney

Certainly the larger the stack compared to the blinds the more likely the better player will win.

Personally I think you should design the tourney to give reasonable play to everyone not just so you have the optimal chance to win.

Ken Poklitar
Old 09-19-2002, 10:26 AM

Default Re: A heads up No-limit Touney

In what ways is he weaker? If his big mistake is playing too many hands, but he plays them reasonably well postflop, then you've just neutralized his disadvantage by making this a heads-up contest. It's hard to be too loose heads-up.

If he is too passive and gives up too easily, you want to start with a small stack, so you can grind him down more quickly, hopefully before he finds a big hand and doubles through you.

What you really want is someone who plays loose preflop, but gets timid and folds too much postflop. Build a pot, then take it. ;-)

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)