Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 11:55 AM

Default QQ against a preflop capper.

Villain seems to be a very aggressive TAG. I’ve got him at 20% VPIP, 12.5% PFR, with pretty high aggression levels. He seems good postflop but I’ve only got about 150 hands on him; I did watch him cap PF, cap flop and raise turn against a known LAG with 99 (the board was 8-high and monotone), so he’s pretty capable of gonzo aggression when it’s called for. We’ve yet to have any sort of confrontation at the table.

The Button is an uber calling station. Really really bad player.

What's my line here?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero...
Old 03-04-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: QQ against a preflop capper.

Is villain aware of you? i.e. Will he slow down without TP against you?

I suck, but I'm pretty much thinking way ahead or way behind here. I c/r, call a 3-bet, and call down with no aggression from button or super scary cards.

I'm sure it's the wrong play, but I'm coming to realize that it's best to post my bad ideas and at least read what I'm doing wrong.

PS - I imagine it should be '13 SB', not '13 Hero' as the value of the pot. Great as you are, there can be only one Hero.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is villain aware of you? i.e. Will he slow down without TP against you?

I suck, but I'm pretty much thinking way ahead or way behind here. I c/r, call a 3-bet, and call down with no aggression from button or super scary cards.

I'm sure it's the wrong play, but I'm coming to realize that it's best to post my bad ideas and at least read what I'm doing wrong.

PS - I imagine it should be '13 SB', not '13 Hero' as the value of the pot. Great as you are, there can be only one Hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think you're way ahead or way behind, checkraising the flop isn't a great play.

I'm entertaining suggestions -- bet/fold? Check/fold? Bet-call? Check-call down and pray he went gonzo with TT because of Button?

Rob
Old 03-04-2005, 12:04 PM

He's willing to cap with 99 vs. known lags, but you're not a known lag, right?

So he's probably got a premium hand, since he's seen you for 150 hands he knows you're TAG. So AQ AJ are doubtful here.

I'd probably bet/fold to a raise.

KO
Old 03-04-2005, 12:06 PM

Ugh, this isn't pretty. I'm over 90% sure you're behind.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/fold?

Rob
Old 03-04-2005, 12:10 PM

I'd hate to see a check go all the way through, betting I think could incurr a raise by villain. Would you call his raise?

Since you PF raised, I think you might have to bet here to gain some respect. If he raises, I would call and wait for the turn.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/fold?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like the best option although it doesn't seem quite right. If I calculate it correctly, you need to be ahead like 80% of the time to make a call-down correct (assuming Button comes along), if you bet/fold I think you're going to be raised a very high % of the time. Check-raising is just silly IMO.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think you're way ahead or way behind, checkraising the flop isn't a great play.

I'm entertaining suggestions -- bet/fold? Check/fold? Bet-call? Check-call down and pray he went gonzo with TT because of Button?

[/ QUOTE ]
Very true. We want to invest as little as possible in that situation.

With a cap from relatively early position, couldn't we narrow down villain's cards a bit? We're behind pretty much every capping hand. Of AA-JJ and AKs, we're not ahead of any. If villain would cap with TT or AQs, we could still be ahead. It seems worth investing one more SB to find out. Upon reflection, I think bet/fold seems reasonable. Also, we don't really have to call down just to see what villain had because button is in there and will call down for us.

But as usual, this thinking could be way off.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:12 PM

The list of pf capping hands you currently beat is quite small. We are likley drawing to 3 outs. I hate it but I probably check fold this. If I'm feeling frisky I callthe flop and see what happens on the turn.