Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Weakish Top Pair--Basics Check.

I do this a lot. Should I fold the turn?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 03-03-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Weakish Top Pair--Basics Check.

I think your lines are either to fold or raise on the turn. If you get reraised, I think you can safely toss you hand and it has cost you the same as calling down. If he just calls your raise, I would still fold to a bet unimproved on the river. If he calls the turn and checks the river, don't check it through.

MP2 leading the turn is surprising, since if the T hit him if he had something like ATo or KTo I would expect a C/R.

I often fall into the same trap of calling down against an unknown player.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:59 AM

Rather a begging bump. Everyone agree with the one responder?
Old 03-04-2005, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. unless I missed something I'd play it the same. I'd rather see a cheap showdown than raising the turn and folding to a 3 bet. I may win at showdown, I won't win if I fold.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. unless I missed something I'd play it the same. I'd rather see a cheap showdown than raising the turn and folding to a 3 bet. I may win at showdown, I won't win if I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 AM

Should have played it just like that.
It's only a pair but it might very well be the best hand. However you might be up against something much worse, so why risking money for raises?
This gives you a cheap showdown.

-aron
Old 03-04-2005, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the replies! They were enlightening. Far from considering a turn a raise, I was wondering if I should've called it down or found a fold on the turn. Just one of those "too much hand to fold, too little hand to raise" things. Villain shows KT.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:28 AM

since i know what he had now, i'd fold the turn [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

do you have any reads on MP2? would he have raise PRF with AQ-T? or lead the flop on a draw? i'd put him on a pair most likely, so i think i'd have raised the turn and called down from there UI.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:43 AM

I think you'll find yourself behind a signifigant enough amount of the time here to raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet, or just fold. Depends on your read.

Key factor: Three cards T+ on the board. You are probably behind to two-pair (AT, KT but probably not AK) or QJ for the straight.

The correct play in this situation is completely read-dependant.

Some people might suggest raising here, since check-raising is the more logical play from someone that hit their hand.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Key factor: Three cards T+ on the board. You are probably behind to two-pair (AT, KT but probably not AK) or QJ for the straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would we automatically assume 2-pair??? With no reads, in party .5/1 I expect to see A4o or some such crap a lot of the time.

I don't like a turn raise here, with the intent to fold to a 3-bet. What do you stand to gain by putting in 2BB to fold, when you could just as easily put in 2BB and show down a possible winner?