Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Stratomatic Baseball

Anyone play it?

I have the #1 pick in our redraft league. Should I take Bonds, RJ, Schmidt, or someone else.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Stratomatic Baseball

no,

but i think i saw somewhere that r johnson was a good pick for fantasy [censored]

not to into baseball, i bet nolan or im sure some others might be able to help you out though

cheers
Old 03-03-2005, 11:32 AM

Barry Bonds is the clear first choice in any sort of simulation league.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:43 AM

I loved that in 5th grade. I'm glad to hear people are still playing that in the internet era.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry Bonds is the clear first choice in any sort of simulation league.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't play strat, but from what I understand, Bonds is a pretty easy top choice, with his insane OBP numbers.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:05 PM

We still play face to face, with dice and cards. I'm the youngest guy in my league (at 32). Good fun.

Bonds is a good choice, but I'm trying to work a trade for Jason Schmidt (I need pitching help badly and scnmidt is protected). This deal is going to cost me Ichiro and B. Wagner, though, so I'm not sure about it.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bonds is a good choice, but I'm trying to work a trade for Jason Schmidt (I need pitching help badly and scnmidt is protected). This deal is going to cost me Ichiro and B. Wagner, though, so I'm not sure about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonds is the easy choice if you're playing for this year, he's got a totally dominant card against right handed pitching. I doubt I would trade Schmidt for Ichiro straight up, it would depend on my replacement for Ichiro.

This message board can be helpful for these types of questions:

Strat
Old 03-03-2005, 03:29 PM

Here's the deal: we can protect up to 7 players per year. One team is now defunct, so that team's players enter the draft pool. Bonds is one of them.

I expect Ichiro's card to be very good this year (we're not allowed to see the cards before the draft and the SOM forum is off limits, too), but he has underachieved for me for the past two seasons. Schmidt has good indicators for stable dominance. Though I like Wagner, and he has performed well for me, he is a lefty and lefties get crushed in small leagues (currently 9 teams in mine). If he agrees to this trade, I can still take Bonds with the #1 pick. So essentially it works out to Ichiro and Wagner for Bonds and Schmidt. Good deal, right?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:00 PM

Sorry, I don't follow your logic. It's not Bonds and Schmidt for Ichiro and Wagner since you should be taking Bonds anyway.

If you don't make the trade, you have Bonds, Ichiro and Wagner. If you make the trade you have Bonds and Schmidt. There's no way you should be considering Schmidt over Bonds. The value of Bonds actually goes up in a small league.

Regarding Ichiro, I know you can't look at the cards, but you have to notice that his batting average went up 60 points from last year, his obp went up 60 points, and his sluggint went up 20 ponits. You know his defense is outstanding. The question is, who will get to replace him. If the answer is somebody like Sheffield, maybe you make the deal. If its somebody like Jose Guillen you probably shouldn't.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:24 PM

I see your point. I have a thing for Schmidt. His card has pwned me in the past.

There should be enough depth in this draft to take BB and still fill pitching needs. I can't imagine that BB has many out chances vs RHP.

If I keep Ichiro I have to figure out where to bat him. His leadoff skills will be diminshed slightly if I bat BB inthe 3 or 4 hole. That's a good problem to have, though.

Once BB is gone there will be a run on starting pitching, and I pick last in the second round (but first in the 3rd round). My thinking was to take BB and try to trade for an ace, then replace Ichiro and Wagner with the 2-3 sandwich picks. Urbina and Nathan may last until my second round pick, and Ichiro, good as his card should be, can be replaced (JD Drew could be available, for instance).

The other aspect to our league is that a team's list of protected players isn't announced until just before the draft begins, so we really don't know for sure who's available and who isnt.