Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 08:22 PM

Default PokerRoom STT hand

Hey guys-

Long time since I posted on this forum. Got a 9-5 job, not as much time for poker. I've started playing one SnG at lunch again, though. So I had this hand in a PokerRoom NL $5+$.50. It's from memory so the hand is not exact. It is definitely possible to take down uncontested pots on this table.

4 Handed. Blinds 100/200. You are SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and 3700 chips. UTG has 3300 chips. Button has 6000 chips. BB has 2000 chips.

UTG calls, Button folds, you call, BB checks. 3 to the flop.

Pot: 600
Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

You check, BB checks, UTG bets 200, you call, BB calls.

Pot: 1200
Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

You check, BB checks, UTG bets 400, you call, BB folds.

Pot: 2000
River: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

You bet 800, UTG raises all-in, you....

I'm fairly certain my river play is my first and only mistake in this hand, though raising the flop or the turn may be higher EV than just calling. Not 100% sure or I wouldn't be posting. All comments appreciated, results later.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: PokerRoom STT hand

Considering you have half your stack in the pot with 2 pair, I think you call and hope he has Ax. I think you made a huge mistake in the way you played the hand though. Look at your position compared to the 2 stacks smaller than yours (before the hand). Your chips will be MUCH better spent stealing their blinds than chasing a 4-high flush draw. Personally, I don't even complete here, but if you do, fold on the flop.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:37 PM

I call and hope he's an idiot with Ax or Qx, which people often are.

At the same time, I really like folding preflop here. It might just be me, but I really don't like playing pots out of position, and the price can get pretty steep for relatively small implied odss. Plus, there's less folding equity.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:24 AM

I had built my stack by taking down small pots; I was trying to mix up this hand by calling the flop.

Also I have very strong doubts about my river bet.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:33 AM

I also can't see folding on this flop for less than a half pot bet 4 handed with a flush draw. Semi bluff raise, or call to chase when you have odds, but not fold.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:14 PM

Default RESULTS

I called and he had 22 [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Still not any closer to figuring out what I should have done, given that I was trying to mix up my play by calling the flop instead of raising. I am much more interested in the river (and perhaps the turn) decision(s) than pre flop and on the flop.