Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 05:14 AM

Default KK help

I've been playing 25PL at PP for the last few weeks, and have done quite well playing tight and selectively aggressive.

Now they switch to the 100BB so I went to the 50PL. I've found alot of success at the lower level playing
high pocket pairs aggressive...getting my whole stack in at some point in the hand. Generally the most I lose is $20-$30 with the smaller buy-ins.

This came up tonight. SB is semi-loose, and was calling pot sized bets with oesd.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 ($70.5)
MP2 ($52.45)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($64.2)</font>
CO ($80.25)
Button ($35.5)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($67.5)</font>
BB ($74.95)
UTG ($49.5)
UTG+1 ($102.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($8) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, SB calls $3.

Turn: ($14) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $25</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($64) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $25</font>, Hero calls $25.

Final Pot: $114

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kc Kh (one pair, kings).
SB has 7d 7h (three of a kind, sevens).
Outcome: SB wins $114. </font>

First off I didnt raise more pf because I wanted some action. I play very tight and I was afraid a max raise wouldve had everyone fold around. I'm assuming this was mistake 1? Should I be happy just picking up whats in the pot?

Then I know mistake #2 is at the turn. My read was AQ on him, and that he reraised me because of that. In retrospect I should seen the trips.

The river call I had to make I think because of my read and the fact that it was the end of our stacks, and im pot committed? With my turn call I figured the rest of my stack was going in. With this train of thought (as wrong as it may be) should I have reraised the turn?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: KK help

pf is fine, flop is horrible. Bet the pot on the flop, things could be alot different if you did.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:22 PM

nah I like his flop play.. drags along hands that you beat. He is playing headsup afterall... this would be a much worse play with more than one opponent. I might bet a BIT more just cause of some draws that are out there but imo the mistake is on the turn. The only hand you're calling on is AQ, which wont make that play there. When someone wants to take control of the pot vs a pfr they are either A) an extremely aggressive player who knows what they're doing or B) has an extremely good hand. AQ will call u down after that turn hoping you missed AK.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nah I like his flop play.. drags along hands that you beat

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, hands like two spades or 89

I bet $6-$8 on the flop
Old 03-02-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've found alot of success at the lower level playing
high pocket pairs aggressive...Generally the most I lose is $20-$30 with the smaller buy-ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

This a strange way to describe your "success" at a level.

As for the hand, raise more PF. If you want more action, make more raises and people will start to call with inferior hands. Don't change your raising standards by your holdings (note: this obviously doesn't apply for re-raising). He was likely going to call anyways with 77, and the hand was going to play out the way it did regardless. I would probably end up playing it the same way, as I think folding for his turn raise would be weak-tight. However, the one thing you did not address is if he ever raised with draws, or if he always has the goods when he raises. Lots of players like him are easy to read because they call with mediocre hands, but they only raise when they hit the board hard. This is something to pay attention to, especially with the deeper stacks. Now you know, a raise from this guy means the real deal.

-Trail
Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 PM

Thank you for correcting him. I am tired of people advocating the underbet so much. This is a sign of someone who doesn't see long-term, but instead doesn't want to lose action on this one hand.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:07 PM

the OP's bet still makes calling with flush draw incorrect. Furthermore you're in position the whole time: if a draw gets there you are in a much better position to fold your hand. I believe SB is much more likely to have a pair here than any other holding, maybe big cards which could be suited here, but 89? cmon.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the OP's bet still makes calling with flush draw incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

villain has to call 3 into a pot of 14. if can expect to win $1 more of hero's money on the times he makes the flush, he should call (also gets some more value from the fact the turn might be checked through). also, the most likely flush draw is A-high, so villain likely has an overcard as well for 3 more outs. bet around 3/4-pot.

that said, i don't really know how to play the turn. maybe this is time for a "keep-the-pot-small" check behind, even though it's scary. or maybe it's a "don't go broke with 1 pair" fold on the turn. got to admit, i'm a little baffled.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:54 PM

personally I make sure the opponent knows i mean business on the turn. I respect them when they come over the top and maybe thats weak-tight but I mark who i know to be able to make that sort of move with any hand KK beats here. He is showing willingness to play a big pot with his turn bet and his opponent is saying alright lets do it. I fold on the river if i call the turn bet.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold on the river if i call the turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think he is going to come over the top and not bet the river? Why call if you are going to fold to a bet on the river?