Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 01:44 AM

Default A Two Pair Hand

PP 50+5 tourney.

BB = t150
Hero 4500
SB 6700

I am dealt J9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button.
Its folded to me and I open to t450. This is a new table, so there are no reads.

SB calls and the BB folds. Pot = t1050

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, hero bets t750, sb check raises to t1500, hero ??

Your move and why?

Thanks-
Jarid
Old 03-02-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: A Two Pair Hand

wow, this is a tough one
against an unknown, i think im gonna have to risk all my chips here and push
villain could have something like TPTK and is thinking that you're making a play at the pot or something or he doesnt want you to hit ur possible draws
Old 03-02-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, this is a tough one

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought so too. One vote for push. Anyone else.

Thanks-
Jarid
Old 03-02-2005, 11:30 AM

SB probably have one of KQ, QJ, AJ, KJ, JT or even QT. Or he might have a hand like Ax clubs. Of these hands, only KQ and JT is bad. The rest of the hands will make you a favourite.

I think his check-raise is strange. Would he really play like that with AJ? And if he had KQ, he should have gone all-in instead of a 750 raise (he has to make flush draws pay).

A hand like KQ in clubs would make that check raise likely, but ofcourse its dangerous to put your opponent on such a specific read.

If I had to guess, I would put him on a flush draw, probably AK/AQ/AT/KQ in clubs. Especially AT would be likely. It could also be a pure bluff, where he thinks you have a hand like AK and can be bullied. Either way, you should just call and see what happens, since he will probably call an all-in.

If a blank hit on turn and he checks, I would go all-in and hope for the best. If be goes all-in after turn, especially if a blank or club hits, I would fold.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:41 AM

This is a pickle alright but I'll vote for a push too.

Hopefully he just thought you were on a steal and reraised with some piece of the flop with a hand such as AT. There are so many hands he could have here that you have beat. Any J, especially with a K, Q, or 8, T9, QT, KT, flush draw, flush draw with gutshot, etc. All of these are dangerous though and you can't afford to give him any cheap cards. It's already a nice pot, so I'm sure you wouldn't mind if he folded to an all-in.
In the case that he does have you beat or even calls and catches a draw, you have a few outs to a boat.
There's 3300 in the pot and that's what you have left now, so with no reads, I'm not giving up this hand heads-up here. Also, the reason I would not suggest just a call is because it looks too weak or like a draw and he may just push the turn even with a worse hand than yours but you still won't have any new information about his hand, so I'd push it here myself.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:55 AM

The only hand here I'm really worried is ahead is KQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. AK/AQ and probably AJ reraise PF. He very well could reraise on the flop with QT/KJ/AJ. I hate going broke with 2 pair on such a coordinated flop. I think I call here and push the turn on any non [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] rag turn. Your flat call behind lets him know you have a hand and you also have position the rest of the way.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I call here and push the turn on any non rag turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this, but there are not many rags [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or otherwise left in the deck. I think I'm mostly looking for non clubs below 8 here. Seems pretty slim.

Thanks-
Jarid