Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Thank You, Ed Miller

For helping me avoid making a "good laydown" in a huge pot. This hand really brings your point home. Even when it happens only once in a while, hands like these make up for all the crying calls and more. And to think, for a second I actually considered folding....

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (28 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (21.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

River: (25.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 29.50 BB
Old 03-01-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Thank You, Ed Miller

Out of interest, what would you estimate the odds are that neither an UTG raiser, 3-bettor, capper or 3 other cold callers of the cap has a King?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:29 AM

I can't believe you even considered laying this down.
This is an easy call.

The action on the turn tells me a lot.
But even without that take on the situation, I would still call this fast and grumble about not being able to raise it.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:32 AM

I shouldn't belittle you, but I can't help myself. If there's an easier call out there, I can't think of it.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of interest, what would you estimate the odds are that neither an UTG raiser, 3-bettor, capper or 3 other cold callers of the cap has a King?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case, the capper was a maniac who had previously capped (much to my dismay) another hand with J8o where I had AA and flopped 88T-- to fleece me of 6 BB postflop.

So it was the other 3 bettor and the coldcallers I was mostly worried about. Given that I had 2 aces, the odds of their holding a K go up substantially, because I've cut all the possible A-hands in half. I don't feel like doing the math right now, but I think it's safe to say I got real lucky.

gm
Old 03-01-2005, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So it was the other 3 bettor and the coldcallers I was mostly worried about. Given that I had 2 aces, the odds of their holding a K go up substantially, because I've cut all the possible A-hands in half. I don't feel like doing the math right now, but I think it's safe to say I got real lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

By lucky do you mean that you don't think that you had the odds to call, but made the call anyway and still won?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there's an easier call out there, I can't think of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There needs to be a moratorium on "easiest" comments where it is clearly rhetorical but being passed of as literal. You want to know what the easiest call is? When the guy caps you on the river and you have the nuts.

With specific reads, I could imagine situations where the call I made was clearly wrong.

Besides, I only considered folding for a split second [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

By lucky do you mean that you don't think that you had the odds to call, but made the call anyway and still won?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think I had the ODDS to call, but I also think I was a big underdog. It's just that the odds offered a good enough overlay to make up for my disadvantage. But if I played this hand over 10 times, I'd be lucky to win 2 of them -- still WAY more than enought to justify the call.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:43 AM

I don't understand why you believe there was a normal chance of your opponents holding a King after the turn action.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:48 AM

I re-read your post and you must have been up against a bunch of medium to high pairs. MP1 must have been a maniac. The flop was such that it's unlikely anyone had a piece of it, so that just leaves the Kings which someone must have at least half the time. After all you'd think one of those callers on the flop is going for the king high flush, but actually upon further review those odds go down quite a bit. Even the dumbest of players lay down KQ when it is capped before it even gets to them. The only person who is likely to have a King is UTG, and I think you said he was a maniac...