Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Quest for proper aggression continues...

Ok, I encourage any of you interested to follow my posts for the next few weeks or so, as I will be posting many hands in an attempt to fine tune my game. If I could get some repeat posters that would be sweet. A hand for your reviewing pleasure... "3-bet his ass" on the turn? My read is "loose with sub-optimal aggression":

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB

Old 03-01-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Quest for proper aggression continues...

i'd tend to think you're behind on the turn here, you gotta figure he puts you on at least an ace. but then again, i'm a puss about 3-betting check/raises so i might be wrong.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:04 AM

I think more often the turn c/r is just another A who's trying to punish KK-JJ. Then again, with your read on the villain, it seems more likely that he would only c/r with 2 pair or better, so I can certainly see why you didn't 3-bet.

At least he made things easier on you by checking the river, and thank you for betting it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 05:46 AM

I don't see any reason to 3-bet, and I think it's a semibluff or a dumb slowplay often enough to call. In other words, I think your line is fine.

I'll follow along. Anyone with Hedonism Bot in his icon deserves a little extra attention.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:50 AM

Don't see any reason to 3-bet here. I think you are probably behind more often that not. I think folding is better than raising, but calling down is probably best of all.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:51 AM

I would have played it the same way you did. I wouldn't 3-bet the turn as I'd think I was behind to two pair. The check on the flop would confuse me a tad but I would just go ahead and bet out thinking he had an A with a lower kicker.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:57 AM

I like your line. AT, A9, A5 and T9 are all in prime limping range so when he checkraises me on that A I'm a bit worried. Most loose-passives would either check-call or bet out with A-rag, not checkraise.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:35 AM

If someone bets into a pfr after an ace hits the turn or river, more than half the time you are behind. I like your line.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:38 AM

It all looks good to me.