Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Bling Defense vs tough opponent A3o

Well, the blinds are only 1/2, so it's not quite bling defense, but the principal of the matter is you don't want to give it up if you don't have to... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

NL $1/$2, live game, 6 or 7 players, opponent is tough: a local B&M 30/60 LHE player. He's got my respect, and I've got his.

Stacks: We each had $200 in chips.

PF:
Folded to SB, he raises to $6, I raise to $12, he calls.

Flop: 9s7s4c
He checks, I bet $15, he raises to $50, I raise to $100, he folds.

Comments?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Bling Defense vs tough opponent A3o

No responses, so I assume that I'm being crazy in my passion to defend the blinds.

Anyone want to post an example of a more conservative (and perhaps +EV) way of defending?

This is a situation that happens pretty rarely, so I could just fold every time and still be +EV for the game that I'm in, if this is just plain suicidal.

--Dave.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:29 PM

i guess it's right to defend your blind there, although i'm not too excited about it. i'd just call there though. if i were to raise, i'd make it a big enough raise that SB might actually fold, and you need to keep non-Ax hands around, so just call.

the flop is the kind of thing you should do only occassionally to keep people on their toes - it's completely player-dependent. glad it worked out.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:59 PM

Me too!

Thanks.

You guys are right, though... killing yourself over $2 isn't worth it.

The problem is that you can't let them nibble away at you either.

I'm also in a quandry as to how to steal the blinds from the button or SB.

See, in limit when you "minraise" it they're faced with an easy decision: if they have a hand that's good 1/4 of the time they should certainly call.

In NL, because hands potentially can have such high implied odds, I don't know what to do...

If I minraise, they can call with anything because the stacks are deep. If I don't raise, then they can play any two cards. If I raise a lot, then they can afford to be more patient and wait for better hands vs a steal.

It's a really tough thing for me to get my mind around, and It wasn't discussed in Ciaffone's NLPL book, at least not in the NLHE section, to my knowledge.

--Dave.

Edit: Someone want to post a blind defense in here?