Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2002, 09:07 PM

Default I won a trip to Reno

Thought I'd share my good fortune with y'all. I took third in Bay 101's tournament promotion to win a trip to Reno for the Fall Poker tournament at the Peppermill. First and second got trips to Amsterdam and Foxwoods, respectively.

Tournament was limit HE, 200-1000 chips based on how many daily tourneys you had finished well in. There were about 40 people, since many of lower of the 50 qualifiers didn't show up. I had 800, but lost a lot early: to a very aggressive player who hit his kicker, and on a steal where I hit the turn, but he hit the river, and a few drawing hands. At Bay101, they usually raise the limits every 15 minutes, and often double them, so there is not much play. I managed to double up a couple times to make the final table.

At the final table with 7 left, the stacks were about 2,5,6,6,8,12,15 with blinds of 1&2, so you can see how much of a crap shoot it was (I had 8). Going card dead for a cycle, I was down to 5 when the blinds hit me, one player had busted and there were three players with 2,1, and 1 chip and two relatively large stacks, so I folded when the aggressive big stack bet. He'd been raising or calling raises on most hands, but ever time his cards were shown he had at least a medium ace. What hands would you play in this position? On my small blind, all folded to me and the big blind was all in for 2, so I called with 83o, figuring I was a 3:2 or 2:1 dog, but I needed to beat her to get 3rd (6-4 paid $200, 3rd was a trip worth face value $800 + $200, 1&2 were worth ~$1500 and $2500, maybe?). I had hoped a better hand would come in to take her out, but no such luck. Her trash (96o?) beat mine, so she had 4 chips, I had 1, 2 others had 1, and two big stacks had ~20+ each. UTG, I got A8o and called, my left hand neighbor raised her last 3 chips (T7o), big stack SB called(A7) and BB was all-in for 1(54s?). The flop brought a 7, but T96 came as well, so I survived, with LHO taking the 4 chip side pot. Since she was playing for 1st, I waited her out to take 3rd.

Not exactly feeling like a conquering hero,
Craig
Old 09-14-2002, 10:23 PM

Default Re: I won a trip to Reno

Congrats!

Too bad I won't see you at Foxwoods.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-15-2002, 02:15 AM

Congrats! Have fun in Reno!

Ken Poklitar
Old 09-15-2002, 11:44 AM

Default Bozeman, some people would consider......

the trip to reno a punishment. Sort of like banishment to poker Hell! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Still congratulations on your win.

Jimbo
Old 09-15-2002, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Bozeman, some people would consider......

[img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] nah that's two weeks in elko...check archives...lol...gl
Old 09-15-2002, 01:26 PM

Less than 300 mi. from Reno to Elko. Rent a car. See the stuffed bear. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Bozeman, some people would consider......lol

lol hdpm...gl [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 06:04 PM

do they still got that big ass rocket ship in the park there....my parents used to meet in Elko to trade me and my brother off (one lived in Cali, the other in MT - Elko was about halfway) -

used to play a lot on that rocket....

RB
Old 09-15-2002, 06:56 PM

Well, thanks for raining on my parade, everyone [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 10:05 PM

Congradulations on your win.

When you had the small blind and had only two chips left and need to call with one of your chips, you can play any hand without looking. The reason why I say this, is because you will have at least one chip for the next time the blinds come around and you'd have to play both chips, so if you have one or two, it does not matter. Now, if you didn't play that hand UTG, and you had decided to wait it out until you get the big blind and you win the you would still have the choice of folding on the small blind. In this particular situation you gain a tremendous opportunity to play this hand without any risk.

If these players are ready to go broke, I would have not played the A8 UTG. Especially, since the blinds have to play and you know they are going to be up against the others. Plus, your oppenent with 96 unsuited appeared to be willing to go for broke, when her best chance was to make third. Furthermore, when you already know that you will be forced to play against two blinds, A8 is not a favorite to win.

Good Luck in Reno

Mark