Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 09:11 AM

Default First post: Be gentle.. AK hand in a 10+1

basically im wondering how to play this. Should I have even called his re-raise? I was just hoping that small bet would get him to fold...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter

Hero (t1570)
BB (t2475)
UTG (t905)
MP1 (t805)
MP2 (t630)
CO (t930)
Button (t685)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t85</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t55.

Flop: (t200) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t95</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t190</font>, Hero calls t95.

Turn: (t580) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t580

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. MP2 wins t580. </font>
Old 02-28-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: First post: Be gentle.. AK hand in a 10+1

I guess it doesnt show it, but the guy went all in on the turn
Old 02-28-2005, 09:42 AM

Your PF bet is too weak. Since you chose to raise here, it should have been somewhere in the neighborhood of t120 or so (3xBB + 1 limp).

As for the flop bet, since you chose to raise it should have been at LEAST 3/4 of the pot or so. You bet less than half. Too weak.

Someone with a strong hand (which you are trying to represent), would have bet strong to try to push out any flush or straight draws. Your bet actually looks like YOU are the one on the draw.

As for getting out when you did, nice fold. No reason to chase anymore with AKo
Old 02-28-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your PF bet is too weak. Since you chose to raise here, it should have been somewhere in the neighborhood of t120 or so (3xBB + 1 limp).

As for the flop bet, since you chose to raise it should have been at LEAST 3/4 of the pot or so. You bet less than half. Too weak.

Someone with a strong hand (which you are trying to represent), would have bet strong to try to push out any flush or straight draws. Your bet actually looks like YOU are the one on the draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

noted, thanks for the response.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's necessarily too weak. He's raising for value but not letting himself get into a footrace with a pp.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the flop bet either. It does probably need to be stronger or it shouldn't be made at all.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that you completely missed the flop but are throwing in a continuation bet (overrated in low buyin SNGs since they don't get respect).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. His raise on the flop gives you such good pot odds you probably need to call as you'll be able to bust him most of the time if an A or K comes up. However, you're right to get away from it after that.

Yugoslav
Old 03-01-2005, 05:58 AM

agreed X 5..

Especially about the PF raise. I don't think there's any problem raising this one 2.5-3BBs for value. Raising too much, especially at the lower levels, just builds a pot that will be difficult to play if you don't hit. If you attempt to make a continuation, it'll have to be a good portion of your stack, and in these low limit SNGs you'll never quite know if you are being called with junk or a hand that beats yours. It's just a tough spot to be in.

Your odds of stealing the blinds are usually pretty small, and even if you do it's not a significant amount.

If the blinds were larger, then I could see raising more.. But in this instance, I'd want to raise enough so that nobody gets a cheap flop, but enough that Ax and broadway's come along.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:07 AM

A few notes....first off I would prefer to raise more preflop. When you raise only 55 more, there is almost no chance they will fold while having position on you. Now you are going to be in a situation where 33% of the time you are going to have to play postflop, first to act, while having missed.

A more suitable raise would be about 130-150 IMO. Also I prefer to raise extra when in the blinds, as you usually want the hand to end faster when you don't have position.

I think I've given this same response for many hands in this forum, so forgive me if I become like a broken record.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:09 AM

I understand you don't mind raising smaller in this spot, but I really do prefer to at least give them the oppurtunity to fold. It's not really a footrace if you raise just 40 chips more, yet now there is some reasonable chance they will fold preflop.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:15 AM

Everything that you say is correct, and a big raise does give them a better chance to fold, but I'm just wondering how often it will happen at that level. I'm also concerned about players cold calling behind him making the hand even more difficult if he misses.

I have to admit that it's been a while since I played the 10s, but if memory serves me correctly it was pretty difficult to get people to lay down even for 100 more chips. In order to win these pots early, you simply had to show the best hand on the river. I could be wrong though, I have heard that the games have tightened up a bit.

I would just be worried about playing a 300+ chip pot when you're gonna miss 2/3 of the time and might not have position. Those 300+ chips in the middle are going to be pretty enticing, and could lead to more trouble on later streets. If you keep the pot small it will be much easier and less risky to make a continuation bet if you miss, you'll have to risk less of your stack and the pot will be small enough for others to let marginal hands go.

Yeah I know it's weak tight, but IMO the 800 chip starting stacks and rapidly escalating blinds make it less profitable to go for fairly risky blind steals early on.

But against decent competition, or higher buyins, or even deeper stacks, I'd advocate a 3-4BB + 1BB / Limper raise with AK as well.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:16 PM

I dunno, I have watched every hand of poker my sister has played so far (which are lots of $5 thru $22 sit and gos), and they definitely fold sometimes. I'd rather put in 130 and give them a 15%-25% chance to fold as opposed to 85-90 and give them 5% chance to fold.