Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Thoughts on this hand?

20$ SNG, no notes

Seat 4: Button ( $590 )
Seat 9: Hero ( $775 )
Seat 8: Other ( $715 )
Seat 3: Other ( $845 )
Seat 6: BB ( $1740 )
Seat 1: Other ( $725 )
Seat 7: Other ( $1220 )
Seat 2: Other ( $725 )
Seat 10: MP ( $665 )
Trny:9885030 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Jd Js ]
2 folds
Hero calls [15].
MP raises [60].
3 folds
Button calls [60].
BB calls [45].
Hero calls [45].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6d, 4h, 7s ]
SPHANTOM checks.
phoenix1010 checks.
MP bets [100].
Button raises [375].
BB folds.
Hero is all-In [715]
Old 02-25-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on this hand?

This is a tough one. You've got an overpair, but the board is scary. Plus, you're facing a bet and a substantial raise. I think with that board, you have to give button credit for a decent hand. I would put the button raiser on a set, two-pair, a pair and a straight draw, or possibly K7 or A7 (if you're lucky). button might also have TT-88. I think you can discount AA-QQ because button probably would have reraised preflop. If you enter the likely hands into pokerstove, you are a 56-43 dog. If you put button on the above hands plus any hand with a 5, then it is a race.

I would fold this one and wait for a better opportunity.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:34 PM

I really don't put the button on a set. Why not smooth call the pre-flop raisers bet, and hope the raiser hits with his overcard.

I'd say most likely is pair with a straight draw, or small over pair and finally 76. Your ahead I think and pushing is a good move.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a tough one. You've got an overpair, but the board is scary. Plus, you're facing a bet and a substantial raise. I think with that board, you have to give button credit for a decent hand. I would put the button raiser on a set, two-pair, a pair and a straight draw, or possibly K7 or A7 (if you're lucky). button might also have TT-88. I think you can discount AA-QQ because button probably would have reraised preflop. If you enter the likely hands into pokerstove, you are a 56-43 dog. If you put button on the above hands plus any hand with a 5, then it is a race.

I would fold this one and wait for a better opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's unlikely the button has a set, or even two pair. Why would he want to take the lead away from the preflop raiser, with no flush draw on board?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:37 PM

Did you end up winning Phoenix?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:56 PM

I took the PF raiser's weak bet on the flop as a sign that he had missed with unpaired overs (since I don't give $22 players enough credit to think that he could be being tricky), and as I said, I put the button on no more than top pair, or perhaps a medium overpair. I turned out to be correct this time, I pushed, MP folded, and the button called and showed T7 and my jacks held up.

I was wondering if anyone thought maybe this play was too tricky or loose for level 1, or if maybe the players had larger ranges of hands than I put them on. My roomate also said something about open-raising or limp reraising preflop and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts about that. Does anyone else like the limp-call line with jacks early? The small raise after limpers can mean a lot of things, and I though it best to decide what to do after the flop, even at the risk of seeing the flop four-handed out of position. His bet on the flop gave me the information I needed.

Any other thoughts?

Regards,
Steve
Old 02-25-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else like the limp-call line with jacks early?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Raise PF and you won't have this problem.

[ QUOTE ]
The small raise after limpers can mean a lot of things, and I though it best to decide what to do after the flop, even at the risk of seeing the flop four-handed out of position. His bet on the flop gave me the information I needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the button's bet? Did that give you information, too? Because most of the time you're behind here.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else like the limp-call line with jacks early?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Raise PF and you won't have this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good. Does anyone advocate open limping with jacks on level one in EP? I've been trying it out lately with mixed results.

[ QUOTE ]
How about the button's bet? Did that give you information, too? Because most of the time you're behind here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it did give me information, because I believe if he had a set or two pair he would have done something other than reraise half his stack on an unthreatening board. Did you miss that post? or do you disagree?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:21 PM

764 is an unthreatening board when someone reraises half their stack in a low level SNG?

If you say so.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
764 is an unthreatening board when someone reraises half their stack in a low level SNG?

If you say so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unthreatening from his perspective. As in there's no flush draw, although there are some unlikely straight draws. Sets are easier to see because people will only take a strong lead when there is a clear draw on board, and otherwise play it meekly. The action to him was check, check, and then a bet of less than half the pot... No one has showed strength, why would he make a huge reraise if there's no flush draw? Does he have two pair and is really worried about 89?

My answer is that he very likely has a pair and is afraid of losing to overcards, or has a straight draw and wants to take it down. I'd say strong when weak and weak when strong applies very well to low buy-in sng's. Again, do you disagree?

Regards,
Steve