Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 11:07 AM

Default AA in SB

$100 NL. UTG (just sat down so no real read), makes it $10. UTG+1 goes all in for $13. As UTG+1 goes all in, I hear UTG inquire to the dealer about his ability to re-raise when it gets back to him.

I make it $20 to go with a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG calls.

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I'm thinking that this is not a real good flop for my hand.

Hero??
Old 02-25-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: AA in SB

I don't like the way you played this. I would have flat called and let him get another raise in preflop. Then I would have reraised, possibly all-in if the pot was big enough. Heck, you just sat down....you could just push in the hopes that he thinks you are a maniac making a play. If he has KK he will call almost every time.

If you just call and he does not reraise, you have a huge advantage in the hand with a hidden AA and a low card board, especially if he has QQ/KK. You can stack him with such a play.

But the min raise preflop only serves to alert him that you may have a bigger pair.

After the flop, you should check/fold and get away from this while the pot is small. The only possible hand you are ahead of here is AK and that seems unlikely based on my read of the situation. If after you check he bets very small you can call 10:1 on a gutshot/overset draw.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:34 AM

I could be wrong, but most places wouldn't allow the original raiser to raise again after the all-in. Thus, the raise to $20 is an invitation, of sorts, for a push.

Post flop, I check/call or check/fold based on the action.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:38 AM

Gotta love Prima... I raised 3$ with AA UTG, UTG+1 pushed all in for 10 cents more... got 3 more callers, and I was able to raise it again!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:44 AM

Please post stack sizes.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:51 PM

Sorry, I forgot that. UTG has just under the buy-in...I have him covered.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:41 PM

Bump it to 40 preflop, and then the hand is a simple push/call on any board. Or you could just push preflop, up to you.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:44 PM

I don't like your small reraise to $20. Reraise to 30-40 and you can push any flop for a pot-sized bet. With your raise, you got about the worst possible flop and have an uncomfortable amount behind. Any kind of bet or call by you commits you to the pot but you have too much to feel good about just pushing all-in as you're probably only called when you're beat.

Had you reraised more preflop, then pushed the flop, your all-in would've been about pot-sized and you will likely get called by hands like AK/AQ/AJ that won't call the overbet you'd have to make in this situation.

Pushing preflop is also an option but I prefer the reraise to 35, then pushing any flop as I believe you'll make more long term that way. If you lose to a flopped two pair (from something like KQ or KJ that won't call a preflop all-in), you still have made the +EV decision as those hands don't have implied odds to call a reraise to 35 from a $100 stack.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:38 PM

I really don't like the PF raise to 20. Make it at least 35, or perhaps just open-push. I prefer a push here, as his comment about another raise implies that he really likes his hand. Also, it might look like an isolation raise and you might be called by a larger range of hands.

As for how the flop came out, it sure is a scary and yet tempting flop. You are very likely ahead here as I would expect KK, QQ, or JJ to re-raise you PF, but that might only be true for KK, so I am not positive (this is where your read comes into play.) You are likely way ahead or way behind on this flop, as there is really no two ways about it. Bet 1/2 pot. I can't see him just calling if he is ahead, since he has to figure his hand isn't the permanent nuts. If he pushes, I would lay it down. If he folds, I would breathe a sigh of relief. If he calls, see how things go on the turn. Any comments appreciated on my take here, as it is a tricky spot to be in and I'm sure there isn't one best line without a read.

- Trail
Old 02-26-2005, 05:35 AM

Since he didn't reraise and just called my PFR, I put him on big cards like KQ-QJ with an outside shot that he was slowplaying KK. I was planning on pushing the flop, but when it came down the way it did, I'm figuring he's got anywhere from 2pair to a set...the only way he can call is if he has me beat.

I check the flop and he makes it 20...seems to me he is inviting a call.

Thoughts at this point?