Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Tough but common type of spot

I find myself in situations similar to this quite often and I am not sure of a good line.

Party $50NL

I have JJ ($85) UTG+1, I raise to $4, LP Calls, all else fold ($80, VPIP 40, PFR 6)

Flop KK8 Rainbow. I normally bet this flop, tho I dont like being OOP. In this case I bet 3/4 pot. LP Calls, turn offsuit T, completing the rainbow.

My plan was check/fold the turn, bet 1/2 pot on river if LP checks the turn.

Any better ideas? I hate being OOP especially to a loose player because its hard to know what to make of it when I get called.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Tough but common type of spot

I have a really hard time in these spots as well. I think that MAYBE the only way to play this flop is to try for a check raise or over bet the pot.
Checkraise:
If he calls your checkraise, you're behind. if he folds a worse hand, you'll take it. The only problem you run into is if he checks right behind you and an A, Q, or 8 comes. Then you just have to shut it down. Otherwise, bet half the pot on the turn and hope he calls.
Overbet:
This one is definitely more cut and dry. If he smooth calls, he's got a King, or he's good enough to know what you're doing. Either way you shut it down. If he folds, hurrah. If he reraises, you have a choice dependent on your read of him and your style. You can figure that nobody would do that with a King and get all-in figuring you're ahead. Or you can smooth-call and see what card comes off next. I don't think I would fold here unless your opponent was either very tricky or very bad.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:49 PM

I always limp with JJ in early position and play it for the set value. In this case, I limp and check/call, check/fold, or check/raise, depending on the player, his stack, and my stack. The problem with leading out on the flop is the smooth call, as you experienced.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My plan was check/fold the turn, bet 1/2 pot on river if LP checks the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

that will work, but you open yourself up to getting bluff raised.

if it checks through on the turn sometimes i would check the river as well and call just about any bet.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:40 AM

I think you can be pretty aggressive here. The fact that the flop comes kk rather than k x x makes it less likely that villain has a k.