Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 03:56 PM

Default two hands

Both these hands occurred in Party 50+5 STTs.

Hand 1:

I hold 33 UTG+1. Blinds are 15/30, I have 975, villian has me covered. UTG limps, I limp, folded to SB who raises to 100. UTG calls I call.

Flop is JT3 rainbow, giving me bottom set. SB bets 200, UTG folds, I call. Turn is an offsuit 2. SB checks and I bet 275. My thinking here is that he has AK and I want to give him a chance to hit an A or K, but not enough odds to draw to a gut-shot. River is a 9 and he moves all-in. I call.

Hand 2:

Blinds are 15/30 and I have 900. Villian has me covered. I limp UTG with ATh. MP limps, button limps, SB completes and BB checks.

Flop is A83 rainbow. I figure I have the best hand and can withstand a free card so I check hoping to get some action. Everyone checks. Turn is a K. I bet 100 (pot 150). MP raises to 250 and everyone folds to me. I move all-in.

Comments on all streets appreciated. I'll post results and additional thoughts later.

Paul
Old 02-23-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: two hands

Hand 1: I would probably fold 33 preflop and I definately would not call a 100 raise. Post flop, I think I would have called the flop and tried to get all my chips in on the turn. It would be almost impossible for me to fold a set on an uncoordinated board.

Hand 2: Fold Pre-flop. Fold to the re-raise. There is very little chance you are getting raised with a hand worse than A10 there.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:11 PM

Hand 1, I limp-fold pre-flop. After the flop, I probably raise the bet on the flop and if I get called, push the turn.

Hand 2, muck pre-flop. Given that you played it, I bet the flop. Given that you checked the flop, I fold to the raise on the turn. I'd guess you're up against a slow-played set or 2 pair (A8).
Old 02-23-2005, 04:14 PM

If the game is really passive, the PF limp in Hand 1 is fine with me. If it's prone to a lot of raising then it's a little more questionable. After that, I'm guessing he had 9-9 for the rivered set, or something similar.
Hand 2 I play, again, if the game is passive. After the raise, he's either a very good player, or you're beat. It's pretty read dependent, but the end result is probably a fold.

Cody
Old 02-23-2005, 04:36 PM

Hand 1 the pf 100 chip call is questionable, but that aside, raise the flop. If he has a hand now you wil get action and there is no point in giving him free cards. If he doesn't have a hand there is no point in giving him freecards. Slowplaying like this rarely works online unless you know who and what you're up against, which is not often.

Hand 2 I like betting the flop. It is straightforward, which is usually best in online low buy in SNGs. By checking someone with a K might think they're good and a check makes the hand much harder to play, especially against aggressive opponents since you have not defined it at all. I would call the raise and hope there is no more action. Read dependant though.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: two hands - results

Thanks for the replies. As I suspected, I misplayed both these hands. I agree my preflop action is questionable in both. I also think I got a little too fancy on both.

Anyway, hand 1, he had 99 for the rivered set. Hand 2, he had 88 for the flopped set.

Paul