Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 11:21 PM

Default My first post - please advise with this hand

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I've been a regular reader for the past month or so. I've been playing SNG's on UB for the past couple of months.

After my first 105 sessions my ROI is 24% and my ITM is 46%. I've got a lot of 3rd place finishes. lol.

I am playing about 75% $11 and 25% $22 SNGs

Can you please critique this hand? I think it was a good fold but I'm second guessing myself big time.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

SB (t1000)
BB (t2430)
UTG (t1280)
UTG+1 (t895)
MP1 (t1185)
Hero (t1030)
MP3 (t1005)
CO (t320)
Button (t855)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t70</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls t80.

Flop: (t330) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t175</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t855</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1360

Thanks,
jenson
Old 02-22-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: My first post - please advise with this hand

Hm, I would have either just called the pre-flop raise or raised bigger, in the neighborhood of 200. No way he's folding for an extra 80 chips, so you either need to call or put him to a real decision. And in raising bigger, you'll get a better picture of where your jacks stand as well.

After the flop, I think you played the hand about right. I can maybe see someone doing this, trying to make a move with AK, but you're most likely beaten. I have to think if they were going to make a move w/ AK or something, they would have just bet out with it.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:40 PM

Well. lets see. Preflop, UTG raises 3 1/2 X BB, you double his bet and he calls.

On the flop he check raises you all in.

Your options:

1. Push your last t705 into the pot. You are getting 1.71 to 1 pot odds with the 4th best starting hand in poker. If you win, you will have t1915 and should make the money.

2. Fold. You will still have t705 and the blinds are only t20, so you still have plenty of chips left.

My decision:

What do you think he rasied with UTG?

AA,KK,QQ, or AK, maybe AQ?

If it is AK or AQ, we have a race and you are a slight favorite with the correct pot odds.

If it is AA,KK or QQ, you are in big trouble.

I choose fold. My best senario is to hope for a race. Since I still have plenty of chips, I see no reason to gamble at this time.

If it is an overpair, I am in big trouble.

Fold and live to fight another day.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it is AK or AQ, we have a race and you are a slight favorite with the correct pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

There's been a flop. And stuff.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:51 AM

PF I would just call but the way you played the hand PF I would have called the all in and have expected to see 77-1010 maybe even 33-55.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PF I would just call but the way you played the hand PF I would have called the all in and have expected to see 77-1010 maybe even 33-55.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much my thoughts

the flop bet looks completely like a missed ak....so he's gettin in with his pair, i think you have him in bad shape- i'd suck it up and call here.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:12 AM

ya... unless its AK or AQ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] there is not raise here
Old 02-23-2005, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much my thoughts

the flop bet looks completely like a missed ak....so he's gettin in with his pair, i think you have him in bad shape- i'd suck it up and call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect to see a flush draw with overs. I would have expect AA/KK to reraise you preflop so I think the odds of an over pair is low. Your bet looks like a weak continuation bet so he could think his AK is ok. I am sure he is pretty confidant that you don't have a 6.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:14 AM

You aren't playing Jacks for set value here. You raised because you figured to have the best hand pre-flop. Nothing has changed. Had an overcard hit, I guess you can get away with folding. If you think you're against an overpair, why bother raising PF to begin with?

Quit over-thinking. Having JJ here IS the best fight. Take it to him.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:19 AM

Id raise more preflop (raise enough so there is a chance he folds...he wont fold for 80 more no matter what), and Id call on the flop. His betting is too large for me to put him on a 6.