Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2002, 02:51 PM

Default Interesting situation

Playing $6/$12 at Canterbury yesterday this hand comes up.

2 limpers to me, I just complete(debateable) with KsQs in the SB. BB checks.

Flop: Jc Th 4c

I bet, BB and EP fold, LP raises, I call.

Turn: 9d

I check, LP bets $11 all-in (I was dumb and did not check stack size, oh well). I call and show, he shows KcQc.

If he was not all-in, how many bets would you go on the turn? Assume you checkraise him, he 3 bets. Do you 4 bet or no? 6 bet?

River was a blank and we chopped.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Interesting situation

I'd be more inclined to go off for a lot of bets had he not raised me on the flop. It eliminates the possibility of Q8 or 87 unless he's suited in clubs. I'd definitely 4-bet but probably wouldn't 6-bet.

This reminds me of a hand I saw my friend play in the Stardust 3/6 game a couple years ago against a fairly obnoxious LL know-it-all (who now plays 30/60 and 15/30 at Bellagio). My friend has KcJc with a board of AcQcTs4d and puts the guy all-in. Each player put in somewhere between 17 and 20 bets on the turn. But, seeing as the poker gods have no sense of justice, a non-club hit on the river.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:33 PM

I'd most definitely 4-bet, but in all likelihood would call the other player's 5-bet instead of reraising. At this point you can be almost certain that he has at least the same hand as you, if not the flush freeroll as well. I would only 6-bet a maniac who I figured to be way, way, way overplaying a set of Jacks.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:04 PM

4-bet is a no-brainer, and 6-bet I would very likely also. If your opponent 7-bets you, IŽd stop raising: a) He has most likely got KQ and you will split the pot b) he could be freerolling you with KcQc c) on the odd chance that he is overplaying a weaker straight or a set, you can still go ahead and check-raise him on river unless the board pairs or the third club comes down.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:11 PM

Your SB hand is suspect as is the LP raisers. Your 2-overcard straight draw is well worth a 3-bet gamble (against most LP raisers) on the flop hoping he folds the turn when you bet out. Don't bother 3-betting passive folk since they don't raise with hands they don't intend to show down. Note: this doesn't work had you been UTG since you are MUCH more likely to have a solid hand with that flop than when you limp in the SB; thus the LP raiser is more likely to have a solid raising hand. Anyway...

If Mother Theresa 3-bets the turn you know what to do. Otherwise 4-betting when he has the free-roll is no disaster since you are only giving up about 1/5 * 2 bets (when he 5-bets). That compares favorably to the chances he's 3-betting with a set or something screwy like QJ; there being LOTS more sets and screwy hands he can have compared to the single KQc you "fear".

When he 5-bets you can 6-bet against SOME hyper assertive types, otherwise just call.

- Louie