Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Anybody read about Kid Delicious in Sports Ill?

Interesting article in the current Sports Illustrated about Danny Basavich, a.k.a. Kid Delicious. He is an under 30, ex pool hustler who is now playing on the "professioinal pool circuit."

An interesting part of it is that the author states that Kid and his partner made about $500,000 playing on the road over the past four years, and he makes that sound like a lot of money. However, that is really just $62,500 each per year (before all their travel expenses).

I know SI writes about professional poker players also, but really, this article makes this guy look like a hero for making less than 100's of pro poker players are making. He just won the 16th Ocean State 9-Ball Championship and pocketed the winners purse of $2,500.

Well, it just makes me appreciate playing poker, mostly online, and being able to take a vacation when I want.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Anybody read about Kid Delicious in Sports Ill?

Sports Illustrated?

I subscribe, but didn't see this piece.

Who's on the cover? I just got the one with LeBron, plus the swimsuit issue.

(Is there any sports content in the swimsuit issue? I keep trying to flip through it, but my homophobia kicks in at the sight of any of the ads. If they ran ads like that the other 51 weeks, I wouldn't subscribe.)
Old 02-22-2005, 09:42 PM

Location: I like to tell others what is important in their world. I will bump a post if I deem it worthy

[ QUOTE ]
Sports Illustrated?

I subscribe, but didn't see this piece.

Who's on the cover? I just got the one with LeBron, plus the swimsuit issue.

(Is there any sports content in the swimsuit issue? I keep trying to flip through it, but my homophobia kicks in at the sight of any of the ads. If they ran ads like that the other 51 weeks, I wouldn't subscribe.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Its from a couple weeks' ago. Its a great article. I think its in the same one as the SuperBowl game story.

They made a lot more money than that. Think about it. You think these guys were filing taxes? They made sure to mention that they lost all of the money back on silly prop/sports bets.

Yet, at the same time, they would drive cross-country at the drop of a hat, to take down big marks. Kid was laughing at how little the pro tour pays in relation to what he used to make.

These guys were rolling large.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kid was laughing at how little the pro tour pays in relation to what he used to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

They make it sound as if Danny doesn't gamble anymore. No pool player can make anything more than a subsistence living on tournaments alone. Tournament payouts in pool are crap and there aren't enough big tournaments a year. Those who do make it also have endorsement contracts. Danny still plays as high as anyone, he just does it more often "on the circuit."
Old 02-23-2005, 05:53 PM

You run three racks of nine ball in a row and they quit you.
You win three YEARS in a row at your local card game and they call you LUCKY!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:37 PM

The money in pool is in the side games. Tourney money is gravy. The life of a pool player was similar to poker players until Vegas and AC went big time. Brunson barnstormed the US southwest in the 50's and early 60's hustling games......
Old 02-24-2005, 11:39 AM

except the money is smaller in pool. You have to play jam up to win. Like the post above, run a few racks and people might quit. Run "lucky" at poker for years and people play you without a spot.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:22 PM

Run "lucky" at poker for years and people play you without a spot.

This is the very reason I began playing poker.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its from a couple weeks' ago. Its a great article. I think its in the same one as the SuperBowl game story.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't in mine.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't in mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look again. If its still not there, your mailman ripped it out before putting it in your mailbox. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You should play him in 9-ball to get it back...