Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Baby NL game - QQ play.

Hi all,

I am starting to play NL a bit more, as I enjoy it live and want to get better at it online. Here's a QQ hand I played, I'm interested in what you'd do on the turn here, and what your plan would be.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (10 handed) converter

CO ($6.64)
Button ($13.46)
SB ($5.35)
BB ($8.70)
UTG ($6.88)
UTG+1 ($10.00)
UTG+2 ($12.10)
MP1 ($9.90)
Hero ($8.85)
MP3 ($9.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.05. MP3 posts a blind of $0.15.
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Villain calls $0.10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, MP3 (poster) calls $0.40, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $0.40, UTG folds, Villain calls $0.40.

Flop: ($2.20) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.4</font>, MP3 folds, BB folds, Villain calls $1.40.

Turn: ($5) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks...

Villain in this hand is a relative unknown. Seems semi-reasonable and passive. Loose but not horrendously so (I think).

Comments on other streets appreciated as well.

Thanks,
NT
Old 02-22-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Baby NL game - QQ play.

I like your play so far. Good PF raise, although at these limits, they might call even more. Turn bet is alright, though I might make it closer to $2. Still, I think the play is OK.

On the turn, I myself would push. You're gonna get called by a lot of crappy overcards at these limits. At lower limits I might pot it, but even if you pot it here you're basically committed. I push here, hope for a call by AT or something like that, and if they fold, appreciate your $3 win.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:24 AM

BTW this is a $10 NL game, BB is .10, not .05 (converter is cranky I guess... I had to manually adjust some other stuff.)

My initial thought was, this is a way ahead/way behind on the turn most likely, so what bet (if any) can I make to fold an A or K hand? I had conflicting urges, to try to end the hand right there, or to make a teaser bet since I felt it was unlikely he would make a big raise without trips.

I really suck at NL by the way, if you respond don't assume I know much.

NT
Old 02-22-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really suck at NL by the way, if you respond don't assume I know much.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm drunk. Don't assume I can distinguish between a good and bad play. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I agree that there's a chance villain has an A or K...possibly two overcards. That's why I advocate pushing, especially at these limits. You'd be surprised what people call with.

Again, I'm drunk. I could be WAY off here.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean. Basically my concern was, do you worry about trying to determine if he has trips, or giving him a chance to prove it? Or do you figure he doesn't have them the vast majority of the time and push, and if he's got 'em, good for him? Certainly I don't expect him to have a boat, trips or a straight here very often, but it's not totally out of the question.

Anyway, I bet the pot and he folded.

NT
Old 02-22-2005, 04:26 AM

I figure he doesn't have them enough of the time that it's worth it to let him catch up. I do have a question for you though. How are you going to "let him prove it" if you don't bet out?
Old 02-22-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How are you going to "let him prove it" if you don't bet out?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly the problem. Some players wait for the turn to go for a check-raise here with that hand, some let me get more stack in, some check-raise the river, some bet out on the river, etc. Basically the only way to possibly let him tell me he has trips here is to make a smallish bet and see if he checkraises all in. But that also lets him draw cheap and is just weak. I agree this was probably a push here, pot worked out okay too.

NT
Old 02-22-2005, 11:47 AM

Bet out ~$3 on the turn.

If he raises you can safely fold your hand. He either has trips, two pair, straight, or is making a move with a semi-scare turn card.

If he calls and you're still thinking he might be going for a check raise, check behind on the river.

Otherwise he could just as easily be on the flush draw.