Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2002, 07:09 AM

Default 4-8 Hand -- Folding to a 4 Bet!

Here's an interesting hand from my session at Boulder Stations' 4-8 hold em game. It was very good lineup...lots of local fishes feeding the game:

I'm in the BB with KQoff....Five limpers and the SB calls...I check...7 to the flop.

The FLOP is Q-J-7 (Suits unimportatn)

SB Checks, I bet....One limpter (UTG) Calls....folded to the MP who raises...MP is a very predictable local player, not very good..It's folded around to me..I 3 bet. UTG folds...MP caps it....After much thought I mucked my hand face up....MP also shows his hand...

What do you think the MP had? I'll post his hand later..
Old 09-07-2002, 08:56 AM

Default Re: 4-8 Hand -- Folding to a 4 Bet!

If he is as predictable as you say, folding might be correct, but I generally donīt like folding here, would give my opponents funny notions about raising me silly if they see I can fold to just one more small bet (for that reason donīt muck face up).
Old 09-07-2002, 09:40 AM

top two pair (QJ). outside chance king, ten (open ender)
Old 09-07-2002, 06:57 PM

Why muck the hand face up? Why give your opponent free information on how you play?

Unless you are so sure that he has a set, I think you should at least call the last bet on the flop and see what the turn brings before folding.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:08 PM

If he's got pocket Aces, you've got the outs to call an extra bet. If he's got pocket Kings, you're screwed, but there are only 3 ways he could have KK. If he's got pocket Queens you're probably also screwed, but there's only one possible QQ.

Otherwise you're looking at a set of Jacks or Sevens. Also screwed.

At least, I hope when you say he's predictable that he's as predictable as this: he wouldn't cap it without AA, KK, QQ, JJ or 77. In this case I like your fold.

If, however, he'd cap without having any of those hands (two pair with a back door flush draw, or something) then I think you're wrong to fold for "one more bet".
Old 09-07-2002, 09:28 PM

Default What did my opponent have (Results and analysis)?

Thanks for the feedback!

My opponent showed pocket Jacks for a set. When he capped the flop, I figured him for a set. In my past expereinces with this player, when he raised me and I 3 bet him, he's often folded, so when he capped, I knew he had a strong hand. I couldn't figure him for a draw cause he plays his draws very passively...like I said, he's very predictable. So I was basically almost drawing dead. I like my fold on the flop and I didn't second guess myself...

Moral of this hand: Knowledge of your important is very important!

Old 09-08-2002, 12:19 AM

In the following order of likelihood, here is what i put him on.
1) Q-J two pair.
2) A-Q
3) 3 7's
4) Three Jacks.

Regarding the face up fold: you just told the table that you are willing to fold top pair 2nd best kicker to a 4 bet. How will you use this image later in the game? (rhetorical question)