Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Copyright and plagarism in the forums

I love what people have to say in these forums and i though i would make a collections of the most valuable posts. I am currently putting together a small poker website and i was wondering about what the rules are for using other peoples forums posts on my website. Do i need consent from the author or are they public since they have been freely posted?
thx for the help~!
Old 02-20-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Copyright and plagarism in the forums

Need permission from the author. All posts are property of the poster. 2+2 does not own any of hte content. Just because something is public certainly does not mean it's free and clear.

Freakin
Old 02-20-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Need permission from the author. All posts are property of the poster. 2+2 does not own any of hte content. Just because something is public certainly does not mean it's free and clear.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that true? What I type on the internet, I automatically 'own'? I thought the posts were free for duplication and copying anywhere.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:45 PM

I think most people would be flattered if you asked for their permission to repost their work.

PM me if you need to know my reprint fee. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2005, 05:54 PM

You are allowed to claim copyright from the time the work is created in fixed form. So if you write a book, you can certified mail it to yourself and that will be enough of a record to claim copyright in any dispute. As soon as someone makes a post on these forums, it is tied to a time & date w/ an account they have control over. They can claim copyright and prevent others from publicly displaying it if they like.

Freakin
Old 02-20-2005, 10:34 PM

From the ToS...

Copyrights to all posts on the 2+2 website are owned by the authors of the posts, and not by 2+2 or ConJelCo. If you want to reproduce a 2+2 website post in a publication or on another web site, please get permission from the author of the post.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if you write a book, you can certified mail it to yourself and that will be enough of a record to claim copyright in any dispute.

[/ QUOTE ]

This approach is flawed...
Old 02-21-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You agree that upon posting any material within a forum on the 2+2 website you grant 2+2 and its successors and assigns, a non-exclusive worldwide, royalty free, perpetual, non-revocable license under your copyrights or other intellectual property rights, if any, in such material to distribute, display, and reproduce such material to other readers of that forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's from the terms and conditions..