Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 09:26 PM

Default AA Facing Big Flop Reraise

I know I badly mangled this hand. I limped in because three hands earlier, I had raised AA to 90 and everyone folded, so I wanted action this time. Not exactly the best reasoning in the world. I called the flop betting hoping to raise any non-threatening turn (a turn that wasn't a king or five).

After this hand, I checked to hand history, and BB had doubled up originally by raising a pot-sized bet on the flop with 22, and managing to turn a set.
About two hands prior, Button had doubled me up when he chased a flush draw against my KK.

Anyways, what is my action here?

Party Poker $10+$1 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter

Hero (t1730)
MP2 (t850)
CO (t745)
Button (t1610)
SB (t895)
BB (t1575)
UTG (t595)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t250</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1000</font>, Hero...
Old 02-19-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: AA Facing Big Flop Reraise

See, this is why I check the HH before I decide.

But having limped PF for some reason and not knowing anything about the BB/knowing button has a king, this is usually a fold.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: AA Facing Big Flop Reraise

I read somewhere that it is better to win a small pot than lose a big pot. I try to remember that when I try to get cute with a big pair like AA.

I am sure you are aware that you messed up this hand big time. You should have raised preflop and then you compounded the problem when you called the blind's flop bet (I would have raised the size of the pot, just to see where I was at).

Now to figure out what to do with this mess:

Option 1: After BB raises, if you are going to call, then you should push since you are betting 52% of your stack. If you push, you will be getting somewhere around 3 to 1 odds if both of them call you. No flush draw to worry about yet because of the rainbow flop and unless one of them has KK, 55, 33 or two pair, you are way ahead.

Option 2:

Fold your hand and you still have t1600, the blinds are very low in relation to your chips, so you still have a great chance in the tourney.

This is the kind of predicament you get in when you try to get cute with a big pocket pair.