Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2002, 01:08 PM

Default U.S. tax dollars going to drag racing.

It was nice to find out monday that mine and your tax dollars are going to drag racing. I was watching the US national drags w/ my girlfriends dad. Not my brand of whiskey, but he is a big time fan. Anyhow, come to find out, the US army has a dragster of its own that is competing. Turns out it won the championship, but I find out it cost an average of 15 million a year to keep this car/team maintained, and this money comes directly from US tax dollars. Does this piss anyone else off?

Ryan_21

p.s. WTF is a UBBCode?
Old 09-04-2002, 04:58 PM

Default Re: U.S. tax dollars going to drag racing.

A volunteer army can't survive in the U.S. without a good advertising budget to be used to get new recruits. That budget needs to be directed at the 16-25 year old TV audiences which presumably makes up a good % of drag racing's audience. I'm sure the $15 million is only a small portion of the Army's recruiting budget. They must be spending much more on all those commercials during other sporting events.

Since many other commerical business have been effectively using auto racing as a means of advertising, I don't see any reason why the Army can't use it as well.

Old 09-04-2002, 06:06 PM

Default Didnt look at it like that

Never crossed my mind that they were advertising. I just thought some smart ass military guys got together one day had a few beers and said, "hey wouldn't it be cool to build and race a dragster, we could pay for it with tax dollars."

Guess your right that they have to advertise though.

Ryan_21