Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 09:26 AM

Default So I played some Party Poker tourney\'s this morning (normally Stars)

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I realize why you guys harp on the fold equity at the bubble thing now. Despite quite a few bad beats, here are my results from this mornings 7 tourneys:

1. 1
2. 1
3. 2
4. 0
5. 1
6. 1
7. 1
8-10. 0

So, that's an ROI of 55.6%. Pretty good for that session.

Still, being a Stars player, I can't help but say, THESE TOURNEY'S ARE NUTS!!!!!!!!!

The blinds force crazy action. And it moves so fast I can barely catch my breath.

I must say that there's a much more drastic difference than I thought. It's almost not worth playing ANY hand on party that you don't get DIRECT implied odds on preflop. For example, limping with J9o on the button with limpers in front of you is a horrible idea here. I'll do it on Stars for the ability to use my position with raises, and bluffs, because I have the stack. You don't have it on Party. And raising with absolute crap late (eg, K2o) from the button works wonders if you're a big stack on Party.

I like Stars. But I can see the appeal of Party now. Fast, and full of blockhead idiots.

There just isn't much poker. And it's not too FUN. Agree?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: So I played some Party Poker tourney\'s this morning (normally Stars)

[ QUOTE ]
So, that's an ROI of 55.6%. Pretty good for that session

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And it's not too FUN. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sense internal conflict. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: So I played some Party Poker tourney\'s this morning (normally Star

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, that's an ROI of 55.6%. Pretty good for that session

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And it's not too FUN. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sense internal conflict. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.

Well, you make an excellent point.

There's just not much 'real' poker going on, you know? Not a lot of complicated post flop stuff.

Ha. Just fired up another two, and before the BB got to me in one, 3 players were gone. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 AM

I've heard horror stories about the Party Poker SnGo's, the way I see it thats just a crapshoot when the blinds force action so fast. I prefer UB or PStars, and I think UB's is the best, being 10 handed and not 9 the pay-out and blinds are a bit nicer.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:28 AM

UB's are the best "Poker games".

For most people Party's are the best hourly rate earners, but if you're playing for a nice game of poker, UB is certainly a good choice.

Lori
Old 02-17-2005, 10:34 AM

I'm just starting out in SNG's (and NL in general), and so far I prefer Stars. It's my gut feeling that Stars is the better environment to learn real poker. I guess it's a tradeoff between profitability and learning, but I believe that learning is much more important at the lower limits. What do some of you higher limit players think? Is it worth it to grind it out at tougher games so that you will be better prepared to beat the big money games later on?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: So I played some Party Poker tourney\'s this morning (normally Stars)

[ QUOTE ]

There just isn't much poker. And it's not too FUN. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how you get your kicks...IMO, Party action is hilarious. For example, yesterday I played a 50+5 blood bath. All of the sudden, there were only 3 left in level 2...I had 975 chips and the short stack had 450.

Was that "poker"? I don't know...a philosophical question.

Was it "fun"? - you bet!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's my gut feeling that Stars is the better environment to learn real poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have played online for several years now and have had the opportunity to play live in some large events, WSOP, Aruba, Bellagio, etc. As far as I'm concerned the only site that correlates with live tournament play is Stars. If you take the game you are forced to play at Party to a live tournament you are doomed. The European players and others on Stars bring a much higher level of poker and specifically tournament knowledge to the table.
I sometimes feel on Party that people treat their game the same as playing slot machines.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:03 AM

I'm not just a blockhead...I'm a "F'ing wimp-axxed Blockhead"....at least according to my opponents [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, limping with J9o on the button with limpers in front of you is a horrible idea here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. If you think that play is a good idea anywhere, I can see why you want a lot of chips.

Irieguy