Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 07:56 AM

Default ATo..many limpers...Top Pair...No resistance until river

BB is TAG.

I usually raise preflop with less than 3 limpers. With 3 limpers, I just called.

On the turn UTG+1 bet his last 4.50, so I raised.

Can anyone lay this river down?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 calls $4.50 (All-In), MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, MP2 calls.

River: (17.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 23.75 BB
Old 02-17-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: ATo..many limpers...Top Pair...No resistance until river

bump
Old 02-17-2005, 10:36 AM

If BB is a TAG he's not c/r'ing the river into 3 players with a hand that you beat.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:43 AM

what do we put BB on? A3 seems possible, as does A4...I'd say something like 4x of spades, but you'd think he'd bet the flop with that and no PFR. if he has hero outkicked you'd think we would have heard of him by now, same if he had A5/A7/A2. I guess he could have a set, but you'd think he'd make his move on the turn with something like 55/22.

I agree that it's hard for hero to be good here. I think this is one of those things where our first instinct is "I'm screwed" but our second instinct is "I can't lay this down for 'one more bet', it's top pair" even though one more bet is a checkraise of the field against which we have virtually no chance. I'm guilty of it too sometimes.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that it's hard for hero to be good here. I think this is one of those things where our first instinct is "I'm screwed" but our second instinct is "I can't lay this down for 'one more bet', it's top pair" even though one more bet is a checkraise of the field against which we have virtually no chance. I'm guilty of it too sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are all guilty of calling for one bet in huge pots but look at it this way. Villain is a TAG so he must have some understanding of the game, he saw us raise the turn, and now he is raising us at the river. There is a 99% chance here that he beat one pair. I don't even think making this call getting over 20-1 is +EV
Old 02-17-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If BB is a TAG he's not c/r'ing the river into 3 players with a hand that you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus most of the money is tied up in a sidepot. You can't bluff someone who is all in. I don't think there's any way that you're good here.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:58 AM

46s, non spades?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:59 AM

Nicky,

totally. I think somehow our mind is tricked into thinking the two bets are paid one at a time, and though they technically are, calling a single bet on the river is a totally different matter from calling a c/r in a multiway pot.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:00 AM

with the double gutter on the turn...nice....
Old 02-17-2005, 11:02 AM

I'm putting my money on 44