Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Set vs. Multiple LP-Ps - Classic Matchup

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Fantabulous table. Best I've been at in a week.

Button, SB and BB are each LP-P
UTG is TP-P

So, as we all have experienced countless times before, the interplay between protecting your hand and pumping the pot is what it's all about.

Did I misplay this?

I am especially interested in the thought process involved in the flop and turn decisions so please explain why you act in the manner that you proscribe.

Anyone pop the river, here?

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (22.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 28.50 BB
Old 02-16-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Set vs. Multiple LP-Ps - Classic Matchup

shamelssly, he bumps
Old 02-16-2005, 12:59 PM

The BB check raising sucks, but you made the right play by betting and calling. 3-betting would have been spewing. I like it. Follow the SB and BB around. Waiting until the turn to pop it is ok, since they were so loose.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:45 PM

I like the way you played every street. The only exception is why not reraise the flop? I guess you wanted to keep the blinds in the hand? If they're coming along for 2 bets they probably will for 3 right?

It's the only spot you didn't have the pedal to the metal, which is the only place you can question your play (particularly if you did not take it down).

The turn cap is fine. I would also bet/call the river as you did.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the way you played every street. The only exception is why not reraise the flop? I guess you wanted to keep the blinds in the hand? If they're coming along for 2 bets they probably will for 3 right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-raising the flop makes the blinds face 2 SBs and is not just "one more" bet, as you imply. In any case, I would like other opinions on the flop/turn/river play, please.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:37 PM

I don't cap the turn. What do you put Tight/Passive on that limped UTG, check-raised to trap multiple players on the flop and is now 3-betting the turn? Not only do I think you're behind most of the time here, I'm not really sure which of your outs are good.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean re-raise? That would be extremely unwise.

/mc
Old 02-16-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't cap the turn. What do you put Tight/Passive on that limped UTG, check-raised to trap multiple players on the flop and is now 3-betting the turn? Not only do I think you're behind most of the time here, I'm not really sure which of your outs are good.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean re-raise? That would be extremely unwise.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

Monty-

So you put UTG on, specifically, 66? IF so, then, yep, I'm drawing to 1 out, but I am not capable of making that read.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So you put UTG on, specifically, 66?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. But given your read on this player 66 seems like his most likely hand.

He could also have KK that missed a pre-flop l/rr. He could have I guess he maybe could have A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] but why no raise UTG? He could maybe have K6 and be neither tight nor passive? I don't see 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3-betting the turn, but maybe? Maybe he's not so tight after all and has a straight?

After he 3-bet the turn what range of hands did you put him on?

/mc
Old 02-16-2005, 05:32 PM

Just pump the flop. Theres no reason to want to eliminate people from this hand by waiting for the turn to raise. You have such a strong hand you don't mind people coming along. Just remember, your 2:1 to fill up by the river.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So you put UTG on, specifically, 66?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. But given your read on this player 66 seems like his most likely hand.

He could also have KK that missed a pre-flop l/rr. He could have I guess he maybe could have A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] but why no raise UTG? He could maybe have K6 and be neither tight nor passive? I don't see 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3-betting the turn, but maybe? Maybe he's not so tight after all and has a straight?

After he 3-bet the turn what range of hands did you put him on?

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

I confess, I did not put him on a specific hand but, rather, saw any of the entire field as drawing to a flushie. Yes, there could be a set over set situation but I was unconcerned (my bad). My concern was, specifically, how best to protect against the flushie drawers while at the same time plowing as much into the pot as I could. I chose to minimize the pot size on the flop (and reduce the drawing odds) and pump the turn. That was the plan, flawed as it may have been. Was it flawed? That is the question.