Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2002, 01:50 AM

Default over pair to flop facing BIG raise PLH

Online tournament last nine places paid, about 40 players Blinds $75-150. I have an average stack with $3800. I raise first-in mid-table to $450 with QsQc. Button and BB both call, they both have about $6500. Even though I have played several times with the button I have seen almost none of his hands and I have him as tight. The BB is a little loose.

The flop is 9c 4h Tc

The BB checks and I bet $900 into the $1400 pot. The button makes it $3900 and the BB folds. Call $2200 all-in or fold, and why?

MS Sunshine
Old 09-03-2002, 05:14 AM

Default Re: over pair to flop facing BIG raise PLH

I'll be very interested to see what others think, but I would call here, expecting to see AT (or KT or JT, since this is online). If he has KK, AA, two pair or a set, bad luck. See if you can draw out.

Your underbet on the flop can easily be interpreted as a hand like AK which missed and wants to take it down anyway, so a player on the button who has hit something might well make this raise, especially online.

Guy.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:27 AM

> I raise first-in mid-table to $450 with QsQc.

I think you should have bet the pot, i.e. T525. The additional T75 do make some difference here, as it will increase the chance to get it heads-up and allows you to make a pot-committing bet when you flop an overpair (43.4% vs. 37.5% of your stack when playing against the BB). A minor issue, but still ...

> The flop is 9c 4h Tc [...] I bet $900 into the $1400 pot.

An underbet here amounts to a trap play which is not a good idea with a flush and str8-draw on board. Bet the pot to hurt the implied odds of any draws.

> The button makes it $3900

So your trap worked. Call, but don't whine if you get sucked out by AK, a 5-outer or any str8- or flush-draw you lured into raising by your weak flop bet.

cu

Ignatius
Old 09-03-2002, 02:07 PM

Agreed. I would go all-in here...make the anti-hero pay for his draw(s). A $900 bet is just asking for a draw to beat you on later streets. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2002, 07:47 PM

I folded the hand. I couldn't see this tight player not having a hand that I could beat, except if he had JJ or AK of clubs. I think with his small range of hands a draw is unlikely and a ten with a good kicker is unlikely too. I think he has a big pocket pair or a set of nines or tens.

MS Sunshine