Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Flush Draw w/ Axs

Party $100
Blinds 10/15
No read on villain yet

UTG (t985)
UTG+1 (t985)
UTG+2 (t985)
MP1 (t1395)
MP2 (t990)
MP3 (t840)
CO (t955)
Button (t970)
Hero (t985)
BB (t910)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t45) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t25</font>, BB folds, MP3 calls t25.

Turn: (t95) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t45</font>, MP3 calls t45.

River: (t185) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t125</font>, Hero calls t125.

Final Pot: t435
Old 02-15-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Flush Draw w/ Axs

Your opponent had KJ or KT. Am I right?

His call on the flop looks like: Thanks for giving me the odds to just call and hopefully make my draw -or- you look like you're betting a draw, and maybe my T is good. Because he didn't reraise you on the turn, my guess is that he had KJ.

I suggest checking the flop, then semi-bluffing if you can isolate one player. Small bets like this advertise your hand too much.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:32 PM

I check this flop too, but would bet the turn if checked around. If they bet too much on flop too (like big overbet), I may just fold.
When you bet this flop, you make it more likely the action gets too heavy (I feel People generally raise bets by more than they would open bet with, and it's not pleasant to have to call a 125-150 chip raise with this hand). This isn't something you want with just a draw early in these tournaments. However you don't mind calling a smallish bet to try to bust someone. Also even if you bet and they fold, the money in the pot doesn't mean very much.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check this flop too, but would bet the turn if checked around. If they bet too much on flop too (like big overbet), I may just fold.
When you bet this flop, you make it more likely the action gets too heavy (I feel People generally raise bets by more than they would open bet with, and it's not pleasant to have to call a 125-150 chip raise with this hand). This isn't something you want with just a draw early in these tournaments. However you don't mind calling a smallish bet to try to bust someone. Also even if you bet and they fold, the money in the pot doesn't mean very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, now that I think about it, semi-bluffing is bad here, because one of the outs (A) completes the nut straight. So I would check/fold, bluff at the turn if nobody bet the flop and a blank fell.

But, that T isn't necessarily a blank. You'd still bluff at it curtains?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:12 AM

Id bluff at turn if I checked flop. Especially since due to the paired board and the fact that only one card is coming, it's not so annoying to have to lay the hand down, as its lost a lot of value.
If you check flop and they bet, there is almost no way they will bet you out of the pot however...but if you bet flop they might.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:16 AM

bingo. check the flop, fire at the turn, you can fold if you get raised much, etc. lots of good things about a turn bet that a flop bet wont do for you.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:16 AM

If you're going to bet, bet more on the flop. Check/fold turn, river. Don't lose your stack in an unraised pot. No one's committed to their hands and will only call with a hand that beats yours.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:37 AM

Fold pre-flop . . . problem solved and t200 saved.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:45 AM

Folding preflop is wrong. If it is correct for you to fold preflop because of poor postflop skills, then you need to improve [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2005, 01:03 AM

I am poor post-flop and that is exactly why I fold pre-flop. However, it is hands like this that make me glad that I do. If the 2+2 SNG Party line is to be tight in the early Levels, I don't see any benefit of bleeding off chips on a draw.