Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Relocating/working abroad for a length of time

Has anyone from the US ever done this? I have a college degree in Engineering and about 7 years exp. I was wondering how hard it is to get authorization to work in another country and live there for like a year or so. Somewhere like the UK, Germany, France, Italy, etc. If anyone has done this or has any suggestions for the practicality of it can you share it. Thanks.

Pancho
Old 02-15-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Relocating/working abroad for a length of time

Sorry I don't have much of anything useful to add except to say that I do have a good friend from France who went to grad school with me at Michigan and now has a job in Japan. One thing you might consider is that foreign companies generally don't pay as well as American ones do. I think the general concensus is that it's best if you can get a job with an American company that'll send you abroad if that's what you want to do. This way, you tend to get the American pay scale.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:37 PM

Join the Peace Corps hombre.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:10 PM

I lived and worked in Thailand for 1.5 years recently. Didn't have a job when I left, just a backpack. Finding a job was not too difficult. But I worked for a magazine that could not supply with me a proper visa, so I was a little at risk renewing my tourist visa every month or so. I would recommend looking at multinationals that might have offices in the countries you are interested in. The immigration web sites for the countries will also provide you with information on who is eligible for what types of visa. I am sure you could find a headhunter in the EU somewhere if you look online. A good one could give you all the info you need. There may even be one just for engineers. Good luck. I'm sure you can do it.

KJS
Old 02-15-2005, 08:17 PM

He has 0 chance of landing in one of the countries he wants to go to if he goes the peace corpse route. He'll also leave the peace corpse broke (you get [censored] while working for them and ~3k if you finish two years with them). There are much better ways to work overseas for a couple of years unless your whole goal is to be altruistic.

Edit:

Oh, and they are also run like a government organization. So you have to put up with that kind of bullshit bureaucratic management style.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:50 PM

Yeah the Peace Corp route is out. I am talking about going to London, or Munich, or something like that. I am also 30 and married so I would need to be taking the route that allows for things like continuing to save for retirement, etc. Honestly the biggest hurdle is the resigning myself to renting for a year or two. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I am guessing it is darn near impossible to own property in another country with a work permit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I hadn't thought of the headhunter angle, that is a great idea. Thanks for that one.

Pancho
Old 02-15-2005, 08:57 PM

I've heard that peace corpse chicks are easy, and lonely. That's gotta count for something.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:58 PM

Get a job with a US multinational if you want to live it up as an Expat--they do all the work, and it is easier than getting permits on your own to look for a job in a place where you may-or-may not speak the language and are not necessarily welcomed if your skill-set is locally repeatable.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that peace corpse chicks are easy, and lonely. That's gotta count for something.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister disagrees.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister disagrees.

[/ QUOTE ]
She's not lonely?