Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 01:55 PM

Default 5NL BB flop 2p against calling station who goes all-in on turn?

I've only been playing 5NL for a few weeks but I'm holding my own through 2100 hands. But this one baffled me. Villian is 75% VPIP over about 100 hands and had raised pre-river exactly once, and that was AA PF.

Exactly one orbit before, I had flopped two pair from the big blind, and he went all the way along with me for a nice pot. Now I'm in BB again:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) converter

Hero ($5.33)
Station ($1.87)
UTG+1 ($3.78)
MP1 ($5.95)
MP2 ($4.66)
CO ($6.90)
Button ($2.47)
SB ($1.66)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Station calls $0.02, UTG+1 calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Station bets $0.06</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls $0.06, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.25</font>, Station calls $0.19, CO folds.

Station does bet on the flop as much as he folds, so I figure either he has Ax or he's gone and flopped the straight.

Turn: ($0.66) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.45</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Station raises to $1.6 (all-in)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $2.71

HUH? This guy never raises on the turn, and it was an immediate all-in. He's not bluffing me, but the question is, did he bet the flop with K4/K2 and now he's made a dominated two pair, or did he call KK/AK/44/53 preflop and is protecting against the flush and now I'm dead?

I spend almost my entire time bank thinking about it, and decide that there's a 60% chance that he has AK, a 10% chance he has KK/44/53, and a 30% chance that he has K4/K2 - so at $1.60 to earn $2.70, I fold.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: 5NL BB flop 2p against calling station who goes all-in on turn?

Who the hell knows...this is penny ante poker cant tell anything and really cant learn that much there either...

My advice is get into a 25$ game as fast as your situation will allow so you can play real poker.

Im not being obnoxious this is what I truly believe you just arent gonna learn much at that limit.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: 5NL BB flop 2p against calling station who goes all-in on turn?

[ QUOTE ]
Who the hell knows...this is penny ante poker cant tell anything and really cant learn that much there either...

My advice is get into a 25$ game as fast as your situation will allow so you can play real poker.

Im not being obnoxious this is what I truly believe you just arent gonna learn much at that limit.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm still working on the mechanics of a few basic things, but I'm up $21 for 2100 hands and I don't think that would be the case at 25NL right now. And there was another 2+2 sitting in the SB, so it's not like I'm the only one there. But I do understand your general point.

You didn't answer my question, however: would you have folded or would you have called?